Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Easy Gluten-Free Chicken Stew

I was telling my sister recently about this stew, how we love eating it in the winter and it's easy to make. I thought I had put it on my blog, but I didn't... so here it is! Our family has fallen in love with this stew, it's so yummy. It meets my favorite cooking requirements... easy and delicious!

Yummy stew, all steamy and ready to eat! (no peas this time, I ran out!)

I'm not sure where I got this recipe. I just searched Pinterest and didn't find it, so I don't know! But it is tried and true in our house, one that I crave. When my hubby and youngest daughter were gluten-free, this was a stew that we ate a lot in that winter, and in the winters since. I also like it because it doesn't have tomatoes in it, which I can no longer eat. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

You can vary the vegetables and amounts of this stew to meet your own needs. This recipe isn't finicky, it works just about any way you do it. You can use russet potatoes (that's what I usually have) but can use red or yellow potatoes also, in fact, they hold together better in this stew.

Easy Gluten-Free Chicken Stew recipe
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 or 4 stalks of celery, chopped
4 or 5 carrots, chopped
2 large russet potatoes, diced (and peeled if you like)
2 to 3 teaspoons dried thyme
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed ( I use roasted)
3 cups stock (chicken or vegetable-- I usually do chicken bullion)
2-4 tablespoons arrowroot powder, or corn starch (depending on how thick you like it)
1 cup frozen peas
3 or so cups of chopped cooked chicken breast (or 2-3 cups cooked beans)
large handful of fresh parsley (I use a tablespoon of dried)
sea salt or Herbamare
black pepper
Browning the chicken...

Heat a large 11-inch skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. (I usually brown my chicken in the mixture first, since I don't buy cooked chicken for many recipes. If yours if cooked, then you do not need to brown it in this step.) Add diced onions and saute' until soft, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, celery and potatoes, then saute' a minute more. Add garlic and thyme.

Combine the stock and arrowroot powder (or corn starch) and whisk well. Add this mixture to the pan. Cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.

Add peas, cooked chicken (if needed) and parsley. Cover and simmer for 5 or so more minutes or until veggies are cooked to your liking. Add sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I think my kids like this recipe because of the thyme in it. It makes it taste so good! I have run out of thyme because I have used it in this recipe so often. 😃

Let me know if you make this recipe, I'd love to hear your review. It cooks up pretty quickly, so it is a nice meal for a weeknight.



Genesis 25:29-30
Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, “Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I’m famished!” 

2 Kings 4:38
Elisha returned to Gilgal and there was a famine in that region. While the company of the prophets was meeting with him, he said to his servant, “Put on the large pot and cook some stew for these prophets.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...