Friday, August 21, 2026

Tips about sleep

 This past fall, I downloaded an app's free version for a week, and it focused on getting better sleep. I wanted to share some of the things that I learned on the app, along with other things that I've learned over the years.

1. One of the most important things that I learned was that caffeine can stay in your body for TEN hours! I learned years ago that if I drank coffee after noon, I would have a hard time sleeping at night. Caffeine comes in many forms, such as coffee, soda, and energy drinks, and even chocolate. Even decaf coffee has some caffeine! If you have a tough time sleeping, you may try to give up caffeine in the afternoon and see if it makes a difference.

2. If you haven't slept well at night, you may have sleep debt. You can make up some of your sleep debt by going to bed earlier or waking up later, especially on weekends. Everyone has an ideal amount of sleep they need each night. Most adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep. Many people are chronically sleep-deprived, and we tend to underestimate the amount of time that we spend in bed.

3. Your circadian rhythms (your energy levels) change slightly from day to day. Most people are groggy for about 90 minutes after waking up. After that time, you can have an energy peak where you are more alert and focused. We may have an energy dip in the early afternoon, which can feel like a post-lunch slump. We can have an energy peak again around dinner, and then a wind-down period in the evening. You can read more about circadian rhythms here. Your brain naturally produces melatonin, and your body begins to power down. Your body knows when it wants to go to bed; you just need to heed the call and prioritize sleep.

4. Make sure your bedroom is conducive to sleep by keeping it cool, dark, and quiet. Many people have found blackout curtains or a sleep mask helpful. Light plays a vital role in regulating your circadian rhythms. Many of us have heard of blue light that is emitted from screens, so it is a good idea to wear glasses that block blue light, especially in the 90 minutes before bed. Also, getting sunlight into your eyes during the day will help you sleep at night. Wearing sunglasses every time that you are in the sun may be affecting your sleep patterns!

5. Taking naps can be a great way to pay back some sleep debt. Power naps (15-25 minutes) or full-cycle naps (60-100 minutes) are good lengths. If you take a longer nap, you may feel groggy afterward, similar to how you feel in the morning. You can use earplugs or a sleep mask if you need help sleeping during the day. You may not feel groggy after a power nap. But the best quality sleep needs to occur during nighttime.

6. Relaxing your mouth and jaw will help you sleep. A relative told me years ago that you won't sleep if your tongue is shoved into the roof of your mouth. I thought, "I don't do that..." but I did! Test it yourself tonight! Also, don't do a workout within a few hours of your bedtime. You can also relax the muscles in your body, beginning with your head and going down to your toes.

7. I have found that deep breathing will help me go to sleep. I do box breathing, which means that I take a deep breath for 5 seconds, hold for 5 seconds, breathe out for 5 seconds, and hold for 5 seconds. Breathing out longer than 5 seconds can help too. I do this three times in a row, and it helps me most of the time! If you can't fall asleep after 30 minutes, get up and read a book or do other calming things to make you tired. Also, DON'T look at the clock; it helps increase your frustration and sleep anxiety.

This is my favorite melatonin!

8. Take supplements to help calm brain activity, such as magnesium and melatonin. There are others that help, but these are the ones that I have used with the most success. Some people have success with using essential oils before bed. Others think that writing in a journal helps them sleep. I think this would be helpful if your mind is racing or anxious about something. I have a few family members who listen to white noise or calming music when they go to sleep.

What can good sleep do for my body?

Sleep sharpens your focus and memory and helps you learn new skills more easily. Sleep can also boost your reaction time. It helps your body's systems run more smoothly, especially hormones and insulin production! If you sleep well, you will not get as sick as often. Sleep loss can affect your moods too- making you grumpier and your temper flare more easily.


How about you? Do you have anything to add?


Psalm 121:4
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

Psalm 127:2
In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to those he loves.

Proverbs 3:24
When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...