Thursday, November 18, 2010

2 for 1 Chicken casserole recipes

The kids wrote the dinner for the evening on
our new chalkboard!
Here are two more of our favorite casseroles... The first one I got from my mom, we had a it a lot when we were kids. The other I got from a friend one time, and liked it so much that I've made it a bunch! Enjoy!
Partially served "Wheaties Casserole" -YUM!



Chicken Rice Casserole (aka Wheaties Casserole- that's what my brother called it once...)
BTW- I altered this recipe slightly from Mom's...
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 c diced, cooked chicken (I cook it in the microwave)
3 c cooked rice
3/4 cup chopped celery (you can buy single stalks!)
1/4 cup cornflake crumbs (or Wheaties)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 jar pimentos, drained and chopped (optional)
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Heat soup briefly in skillet. Add chicken, rice, celery, onion, pimento, parsley, salt & pepper. Heat through and pour into 2 qt casserole dish. Sprinkle crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 min. or until top is brown. (serves 4-6)

*Note: My mom's recipe had you make a roue- where you mixed flour, butter and water or milk, and set it to heat and thicken. I burned and overflowed it so many times that I changed it to the cream soup instead. It is easier on me! :-D



Stove-Top One Dish Chicken Bake
1 package (6 oz) of Stove Top stuffing mix for chicken
1 2/3 cup water
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 can cream of mushroom condensed soup (I've done cream of chicken or celery & it's good too)
1/2 cup sour cream OR milk

Mix contents of vegetable/ seasoning packet, stuffing crumbs & water. Set aside. Place chicken in 9 X 13" or 2-qt baking dish. Mix soup and sour cream; pour over chicken. Top with stuffing. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until chicken is done. Makes 4 servings.

*This one would be great now because you can probably get the stuffing mix on sale. They are both pretty quick and easy! Let me know if you try either of them!

2 comments:

  1. I made the stove top casserole the other night and I added a can of green beans and some Durkee's onion rings and voila we had something that tasted like thanksgiving dinner :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...