Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sing/ Sign

I've often seen the word sing mistyped sign and vice versa. "Please sing the document" makes me giggle. I know some sign language, but not really enough to sign a song. I hope I'm not asked to do so anytime soon!

I've enjoyed sign language since I was in kids' clubs in elementary school in our church, and one of our leaders taught us some sign language for a merit badge. When I was in college, my love for sign language was resurrected when I took a sign language class during one summer. The teacher taught us the language through songs. One of the songs I remember learning was "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. We used this textbook:

I taught sign language to my babies so they would be able to communicate their needs. Most of them learned the signs for "more", "all done", "milk", "eat" and maybe a few others. A friend of mine told me about some great sign language videos for kids called "Singing Time". They are great because they are bright, fun and she uses a lot of songs in them. We own a few, and we've even checked out a lot of them from the library!
YOU CAN FIND THEM AT:
WWW.SIGNING TIME.COM

A few years ago in our church, there was a nearly deaf woman that offered sign language classes. I wanted to be able to speak with her, so I signed up (haha!) The class met every week on Thursdays, and I really enjoyed it. She had a great book that she had us buy:
SIGNING ILLUSTRATED BY MICKEY FLODIN
This book has tons of signs in it, and is a wonderful resource for looking up a sign and remembering how to do it. I learned a lot of signs in our class, and most were straight from this book!

Our kids have several sign language books that we like, this is one of them:
It is fun to remember what a sign is and try to use it as often as possible in every day life! I won't remember the signs if I don't use them...We also own this book, which I got to use as a teacher:

A friend of mine from MOPS is now teaching a sign language class at our homeschool co-op. I've been sitting in on her classes. She is a former translator in the school district. She is now Momma to 2 young girls, so this is a nice little job for her! The kids have been learning a lot! This week in her class, I learned the days of the week, months of the year, colors, and the signs to "Away in A Manger" as well as "Jesus Loves Me." It was so fun! We've done some sign language with our songs during VBS the past few years, and some of the signs are the same! :-D She is using the book 


It is colorful and has kids doing the signs in the book!
Here are some free sign language resources for you!






Sign language is fun and interesting! I hope you have learn something and maybe even will teach your kids the alphabet. If you know the alphabet, you can fingerspell nearly anything! It is just one more way that God can use our hands for His glory!


"The LORD your God has blessed you in all the work of your hands..." Deuteronomy 2:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...