Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Scaredy kids!

What do you do when your kids wake up scared, having had a bad dream, or can't go to sleep because they've got "monsters" under the bed? Well, in my years of parenting, I found something that works for me! I sing them a song. Not just any song, but one of my favorites! (hint, hint!) I like to get my kiddos to think about good things, happy things, not scary things. So I sing the song from one of my favorite movies of ALL TIME... "The Sound of Music"! I sing the song, "My favorite things". Then after I sing it to them, we discuss their favorite things. (Mallory calls it "The kittens song" :-D)


 For Mallory right now, her favorite things are Care Bears, Dora the Explorer, Winnie the Pooh, Elmo, books, jewelry, dressing up, and snuggling on the couch reading a book! Caleb's favorite things involve Star Wars (he's not seen the scary parts), Legos, Football, Baseball, Basketball, watching sports on tv, jumping on the neighbor's trampoline and playing catch with Dad. Rebekah doesn't get scared too often anymore, but every once in a while, she'll hear a nearby siren and get weepy. So we talk about the Bible, trusting God, and then I make her giggle telling her silly things that Mallory and Bethany say and do. We talk about her American Girl dolls, playing basketball, doing crafts and baking. Basically it is anything just to get their little minds off of the bad things that they were thinking about. "To fill their mind when times are bad..." Wikipedia says! After we sing, then we pray, and usually I don't hear from them again! It works for us!


So here are the lyrics, for those who don't know them... :-D (And you already should!)




Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

[Repeat all verses]



Apparently this song has been recorded by Barbra Streisand, Tony Bennett and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass!  (on separate albums...) So you could print the above lyrics, and bring it with you to your child's bedroom the next time you need it! Or just watch this link to help you learn and remember it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LBBVAO2J6k


It's the best version I could find... all the others were not as good. It is a medley, but at least it is Julie Andrews! She's the best! Yes, I own the DVD and the soundtrack... "The Sound of Music" is one of my favorite things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...