Monday, December 13, 2010

Praying for kids


Here is a neat prayer calendar to use when praying for your kids. It is nice because the prayers are geared toward a different character trait each day, and also because they are short! I have this tucked into my Bible that I use for daily devotions, and it is an easy guide to use for the day. I feel like most times I pray the same things over and over for my kids, you know how it is... please protect them, take away their sickness and bring them to full health soon, help them do well in school, etc., But this prayer calendar is  nice because it has something in their character to pray for, i.e. salvation, growth in grace, honesty & integrity, mercy, the Fruit of the Spirit, etc., I know I don't pray these traits often enough over my kids! So this is a handy guide that you can print and use daily too. My mom originally emailed me the article, I don't know where it was from, but this one is the same: http://www.new-life.net/growth/parenting/a-parents-prayer-calendar/ (in a calendar format)

When I printed it, I printed it on one sheet of cardstock, in two columns, and folded it in half long ways, so that it is durable and like a bookmark. I knew I would use it a lot, as I am sure you will. If you've got cardstock, I advise printing on it for this prayer calendar. You can just copy and paste it into your own document!

I hope it helps you pray in a more detailed manner for the lives of your kids. Prayer is SO important!
There is one prayer for each day of the month, except the 31st. I hope you will use this!

1 salvation Lord, let salvation spring up within my children, that they may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.(Isaiah 45:8; 2 Timothy 2:10)


2 growth in grace I  pray that they may grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 3:18)


3 love Grant, Lord, that my children may learn to live a life of love through the Spirit who dwells in them.
(Ephesians 5:2; Galatians 5:22)


4 honesty and integrity May integrity and honesty be their virtue and their protection.
(Psalm 25:21)


5 self-control Father, help my children to be like many others around them, but let them be "alert and self-controlled" in all they do. (1 Thessalonians 5:6)


6 a love for God's Word May my children grow to find Your Word "more precious than gold, than much pure gold; (Psalm 19:10)


7 justice God, help my children to love justice as You do and to "act justly" in all they do.
(Psalm 11:7, Micah 6:8)


8 mercy May my children always "be merciful, as [their] Father is merciful."(Luke 6:36)


9 respect (for self, others, authority) Father, grant that my children may "show proper respect to everyone," as Your Word commands. (1 Peter 2:17)


10 strong, biblical self-esteem Help my children develop a strong self-esteem that is rooted in the realization that they are "God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus." (Ephesians 2:10)


11 faithfulness "Let love and faithfulness never leave [my children]," but bind these twin virtues around their necks and write them on the tablet of their hearts. (Proverbs 3:3)


12 a passion for God Lord, please instill in my children a soul with a craving for You, a heart that clings passionately to You. (Psalm 63:8)


13 responsibility Grant that my children may learn responsibility, "for each one should carry his own load." (Galatians 6:5)


14 kindness Lord, may my children "always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else."
(1 Thessalonians 5:15)


15 generosity Grant that my children may "be generous and willing to share (1 Timothy 6:18-19)


16 peace, peaceability Father, let my children "make every effort to do what leads to peace." (Romans 14:19)


17 hope May the God of hope grant that my children may overflow with hope and hopefulness by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)


18 perseverance Lord, teach my children perseverance in all they do, and help them especially to "run with perseverance the race marked out for [them]." (Hebrews 12:1)


19 humility Lord, please cultivate in my children the ability to "show true humility toward all." (Titus 3:2)


20 compassion Lord, please clothe my children with the virtue of compassion. (Colossians 3:12)


21 prayerfulness "Grant, Lord, that my children's lives may be marked by prayerfulness, that they may learn to "pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests."
(Ephesians 6:18)


22 contentment Father, teach my children "the secret of being content in any and every situation...through him who gives [them] strength." (Philippians 4:12-13)


23 faith I pray that faith will find root and grow in my children's hearts, that by faith they may gain what has been promised to them. (Luke 17:5-6, Hebrews 11:1-40)


24 a servant heart Lord, please help my children develop servant hearts, that they may serve wholeheartedly "as if [they] were serving the Lord, not men." (Ephesians 6:7)


25 purity "Create in [them] a pure heart, O God," and let their purity of heart be shown in their actions.
(Psalm 51:10)


26 a willingness and ability to work hard Teach my children, Lord, to value work and to work hard at everything they do, "as working for the Lord, not for men." (Colossians 3:23)


27 self-discipline Father, I pray that my children may develop self-discipline, that they may acquire "a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair." (Proverbs 1:3)


28 a heart for missions Lord, please help my children to develop a heart for missions, a desire to see your glory declared among the nations, your marvelous deeds among all peoples. (Psalm 96:3)


29 joy May my children be filled "with the joy given by the Holy Spirit." (1 Thessalonians 1:6)


30 courage May my children always "be strong and courageous" in their character and in their actions.
(Deuteronomy 31:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...