Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Things I wish I learned in science class...

As an adult, there are cool things that I have learned, and I think, "I wish I'd learned THIS in science class! Surely I would have enjoyed it more!" Here are some things I wish I'd learned way back then...

photo by my hubby, Joshua!
1. How to roast coffee- So cool! Coffee can have so much flavor and tastes in it, and roasting it different ways enhances the various flavors. Also coffee beans from different countries and areas taste varying ways. Interesting, I know!

2. How to make lotion by blending various oils- I'd like to have known how different oils affect the skin, which are good for the body and which are not. If you'd like to read what I've learned, check out this post. Some oils don't solidify well, and others shouldn't be mixed. Some oils and extracts are preservatives.
MAKING MY OWN LOTION...

3. How to make my own soap, by melting glycerin and adding different scented oils and colors. I've done this before, and it is cool!

4. How to enrich soil- There are different juices and chemicals that you can add to soil to give it more acid, more nutrients, and more. I learned that lilac bushes like the acids in pickle juice, so I always pour my pickle juice on my lilac bushes. (Unless a kid wants to drink it!)
MY OWN LAUNDRY SOAP...

5. How to make my own laundry detergent- how practical is that?! I'd like to have at least learned what is in laundry soap and how it can affect sensitive skin (like eczema!)

6. How different chemicals in shampoo and conditioner affect different types of hair- I've learned in the past few years that there is floor cleaner in shampoos! Why do we have to have such harsh cleaners going into our hair?! Here is a post where I share what I've learned about curly hair, and the different chemicals in hair care products.

7. How different foods effect the body- I'm sure I learned some of this, but now as a mom I am more interested in what goes into the body and how it changes it, and makes bones, tissues, and organs in different ways.

8. How to use herbs- I've learned how to use some herbs to cure different infections, including garlic, aloe vera, echinacea, and more. I'd still like to learn more about them, I think it is very interesting to use herbs in health care.

I am sure there are more... I can't think of them all right now. I may have learned some of these things and just not remember them!  How could that happen?! :-D

Maybe my kids will learn some of these things in homeschool science classes!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...