Thursday, August 25, 2011

School starts tomorrow...

written on Tuesday, August 23, 2011


School starts tomorrow.

That sentence means something different for homeschoolers. For homeschoolers, it means that Mom gets to work alongside her kiddos. She gets to be there for all of the ups and downs of learning. Mom gets to be the one that sees her child's "A-HA!" moment in learning, when they "get it". Mom gets to be the one that chooses what they learn and when. Dad may get to teach them one subject, like math, science or Bible. Usually Mom is the primary teacher, the one that grades their papers, keeps them on task, and still wipes their tears, as Mom always has.

Some moms look forward to their kids going back to school so they can have a break. For homeschool Moms, it's the opposite. It is the start of using a curriculum, and working on the 3 R's... right alongside the students, your own children. It is teaching your child to add, subtract, multiply and divide. It is teaching your child the letter sounds and how to read. It is working on their handwriting, first printing and later cursive. Homeschool moms get back to work when school starts.

The new school year beginning marks a new time to read new books on the couch, maybe one or four  missionary biographies over the year. It is sitting at the table, explaining their grammar and the rules of capitalization. It is helping them learn punctuation and practice it in their writing. It is exploring new things in science that your child may not have ever learned before...like how the eye or ear works. It is learning in depth with your child all about a country, such as Brazil.

It is getting to be together, day-in and day-out, not getting away from the child, but fostering the relationship. It is helping your child get along better with their siblings, who will become their life-long friends. It is reading the Bible together first thing in the morning, and memorizing Scripture together. It is teaching character traits and seeing your child grow in the area of patience, or perseverance.

I am looking forward to getting back into the daily routine, not making spontaneous trips to the store, but plan them better. I look forward to being with my kids at the table learning together again. Sometimes I wonder if I am ready. It seems like a big job to teach my kids. But I know God is with us and has a plan for us. "I will never leave you or forsake you."(Hebrews 13:5) "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11) I am so thankful that He will help me all along the way. I have a good teacher to learn from- Jesus! May I strive to be like Him each and every day as I teach my children. I have given this year to the Lord, and I hope it is one of our BEST!

How about you? Are you ready?

School starts tomorrow.




This is a writing prompt by Mama Kat's. Prompt 4: Write a post that begins and ends with the same sentence.


Our kindergartener!!
Our third grader!
Here are a few pics of our first day yesterday...
Our 7th grader!

2 comments:

  1. Amen! God Bless anyone who can homeschool. It's not for me but I get it and respect. Used to envy my home-schooled cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great description! So awesome that you see it that way. Hope this will be a wonderful and blessed school year for all of you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...