Monday, October 17, 2011

Keepers at Home...

I've been reading through the New Testament the past few months, and today I came to Titus 2. Several years ago I had read a wonderful book by conservative Christian homeschooling author Debbie Pearl. She peeled apart these verses in Titus 2 about how older women can train the younger women, to do 8 things...

This is what Titus 2:3-5 says from the NIV:
3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."

Here are some notes that I keep on a card in my Bible to remind me.
Things women must do or be: (according to the above verses)
1. Be sober or reverent; use self-control, be thoughtful, make wise judgments and plans.
2. Love their husbands
3. Love their children
4. Be discreet, sensible; good tastes, useful, good judgment & understanding.
5. Be chaste, pure; modest in dress, sober.
6. Be keepers at home (to me, this does not mean that you cannot have a job outside the home if need be, but that you are the main caretaker of your home, not sure what Mrs. Pearl says...)
7. Be good, kind; be a hard worker, not idle, not a dumb cluck (her words, not mine)
8. Be obedient to their own husbands.

If God were creating the perfect lady for my husband, would it have been me? (a good question to think about...)
On the other side of the card, I have this printed:


ABC’s of being a Help Meet
  1. Admit when you are wrong
  2. Be positive
  3. Cuddle
  4. Do it his way
  5. Encourage him
  6. Fix his breakfast
  7. Give back rubs
  8. Hug often
  9. “I love you” said many times daily
  10. Joke around in a playful manner
  11. Know his needs
  12. Listen to him
  13. Manage your home well
  14. Never hold grudges
  15. Open your eyes in morning & smile
  16. Pray for him
  17. Quit nagging him
  18. Reminisce about good times
  19. Show respect and honor
  20. Trust, and earn his trust
  21. Understand his need for reverence
  22. Vulnerability is a feminine trait, use it
  23. Wink at him
  24. X is for private times
  25. Yearn to please him
  26. Zealously guard him with your love
I struggle to do some of these things, I think we all do as women. Not one of us is perfect, but we can keep trying and keep going, working to serve and honor our husbands, families and God each day. Join me in my quest to be the best Help Meet that each of us can be to our own husbands!

1 comment:

  1. Good reminders ... I probably need to read that book again! I just read those verses this week, too! God's way of reinforcing something?!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...