Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Seashell Cross

A friend of mine has a cross made of seashells on her wall and I've admired it for years. I looked around a little bit for inspiration and didn't find much. I printed off a cross to trace, from this link. I traced the cross onto a piece of corrugated cardboard (I wanted it to be strong enough to hold some weight) with a pencil. After I traced it, I cut the cross out with my heavy-duty scissors.
I gathered my seashells- some from the store and some from an old collection which has lived in my bathroom for many years. We have a sea/ ocean themed bathroom! It brought back many pleasant memories of finding shells on the beaches in Florida with extended family.
I carefully laid out the shells on the cardboard to cover it, and glued them on with craft glue. Once the cross was mostly covered, I cracked a few shells to fill in the spaces. I also used some small shells to fill in. I let this dry about 12 hours. Then I applied a pop tab to the back (bend it out first) with super glue.

I let it dry overnight and then hung it up in my bathroom. I love it and it reminds me of Jesus, His sacrifice for me and His amazing creation each time that I see it! I like the varied colors of the shells, and that some are imperfect... speaks to me in so many ways...Aren't we all imperfect until we meet Jesus?
AND HERE IT IS ON THE BATHROOM WALL!
Here are some of my favorite Bible verses related to sand and sea...
Genesis 22:17-18
"I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed,[b] because you have obeyed me.”

Nehemiah 9:6
"You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...