Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Money Lapbook

Another lap book that we made several years ago was "All About Money". It was a great way discuss types of money and some of the history about money. I got this lap book idea from Jamin, you can see her money lap book here.

We used two folders for this lap book, one green and one cream colored. 
Here is the cover:
 We cut different denominations of bills and glued them to the cover.

On the right flap, we put two Bible verses:
Matthew 6:24
Hebrews 13:5 
(see below)

 I've searched and searched for this set of worksheets/ book and can't find it online! Here is a site that has some money worksheets you could use.

These three poems (below) we read and printed, and posted on green construction paper. They are on the left flap and right flap of the 2nd folder.
What I've Got
5 pennies make a nickel
2 nickles make a dime
2 dimes and a nickel make a quarter everytime.
4 quarters make a dollar
and that is quite a lot.
And a dollar in my pocket
Is exactly what I've got!

Piggy Bank (For this one my daughter drew a piggy bank to go with it.)
Don't Ask Dad…He never has any.
Grandma's purse has a nickel and a penny,
Mom has a 5, but the car needs gas.
Here's a dirty quarter I found in the grass!
Checked all our pockets…nothing but gum.
Piggy bank, piggy bank, here I come!

What's It Worth
Penny, penny
Easily spent,
Copper brown
And worth one cent.
Nickel, nickel
Thick and fat.
You're worth 5 cents
I know that!
Dime, dime
Little and thin,
I remember
You're worth ten.
Quarter, quarter
Big and bold,
You're worth twenty-five
I am told!

For the center of the right folder, I printed pages from here, cut the words and coins and posted them on a piece of green construction paper. We also included a few index cards folded over, with Did you know?-  facts inside them.
 For the right side of the green folder, I printed bills from here and my daughter colored them green. You might find some of the "Did you know...?" trivia at the moneyworksheets.org site too.
On the back cover, we included a copy of "Smart" by Shel Silverstein. You can find the poem online here. After we printed the poem, we discussed why the author was not smart-- and wrote out how much each total was at the end of the paragraph. We included that under the poem.


Here are the Bible verses that we included:

Matthew 6:24

“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.


Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,

“Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you.”


1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.


Isaiah 55:2
Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and you will delight in the richest of fare.

It was another interesting lap book, and a great one for younger ages! Let me know if you try it or have any tips for something similar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...