Thursday, September 6, 2012

Preparing for Kit- American Girls

Last week, I posted the outline for my American Girl Rebecca, you can find it here. The other American Girl we are going to study this fall is Kit Kittredge. Each week, we discuss the book that we've read, make a craft and have a snack prepared by a volunteer mom. It is lots of fun! Some of the crafts are more challenging than others, so I may change thigs up as I see the girls' various levels and what we can handle. I already changed out the Sock Monkeys from week 5, I think they would be too hard to make in 55 minutes. We will decorate reporter notebooks instead! I am looking forward to reading the books and learning all about Kit!


Kit Kittredge from Ohio in Depression era (1934)

Book 1: Meet Kit 10/23/2012
Theme: Depression hits
Craft: Felt Sports Banner, with white felt, felt stickers to decorate; Paper Suitcase
Snack: Sponge Cake & Iced Tea

Book 2: Kit Learns a Lesson 10/30/2012
Theme: Thanksgiving
Craft: Cornucopia with torn magazine pages into mosaic
Geography Pages- Ohio;       Snack: Oatmeal with canned sliced peach

Book 3: Kit’s Surprise 11/6/2012
Theme: Christmas
Craft: Scottie Dog hair clips with black felt, bead eye, red ribbon bow; Finger knitting
Snack: Popcorn and oranges in Christmas stocking (?)

Book 4: Happy Birthday, Kit! 11/13/2012
Theme: Penny Pinching birthday party
Craft: Paper lanterns, newspaper hats, flower necklaces (yarn/tissue paper)
Snack: Mock Apple Pie, tea sandwiches, depression cake?

Book 5: Kit Saves the Day! 11/20/2012
Theme: Hobo lifestyle
Craft: “Reporter” notebooks; Decode hobo code
Snack: Hobo meal- boiled potatoes, beans, bread

Book 6: Changes for Kit 11/27/2012
Craft: Mittens with polar fleece (sew on machines)
Snack: Soup kitchen soup, homemade bread
Play checkers & dominoes?

*All of the above crafts may not be included in class time.

I also encourage my girls to go to www.Homeschoolshare.com/American_Girl_lapbook.php if they are interested in making a lapbook about the girls we study. Also, I encourage them to visit www.AmericanGirl.com, where they can play games and do various activities for fun!

I think this will be a fun semester!


Psalm 40:17
But as for me, I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; you are my God, do not delay.


Proverbs 14:31
Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.


Proverbs 22:2
Rich and poor have this in common: The LORD is the Maker of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...