Thursday, October 25, 2012

American Girl class: Kit Week 1

This week in our American Girl class, we reviewed the book, Meet Kit and discussed the Depression era. I told some stories that my grandmother had told me about life during the Depression. 

For our craft, we made a felt sports banner with white felt and stickers. I cut a long triangle measured 8" X 20" for each girl. I gave the girls some felt stickers and had lots of felt scraps that the girls could cut. The banners were not very sports oriented, but were much more flowery and girly! Some of them were quite patriotic!

 For our snack, we had Sponge Cake & Iced Tea, much like Kit's mother and her friends would have eaten in their Garden Club meetings. One mom made a home-made sponge cake, and the other mom bought an Angel Food cake, which was great too! The girls mostly liked the cake and the sweet tea that we had. 

The Starbucks bag is one of my trash cans!
Also in book 1, Kit moves out of her room into the attic. Many people lost their homes during the Depression and had to live in a home with many people, like Kit's home, or in an apartment. We had a printed paper suitcase, you can find the template here and here. There are two printables, one is the suitcase, and one is the inside/ what-to-pack printable. The girls seemed to enjoy coloring them and cutting the suitcase, and gluing the pages together. Then they wrote what they'd pack if they needed to move. Most of them included a doll! :-D

One of the girls came dressed in the outfit on the cover of Meet Kit, but I didn't get a picture of her! It was so cute on her! I really enjoyed the class this week, and I'm looking forward to talking more about Kit!


The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.


She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.


My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...