Tuesday, January 29, 2013

American Girl class planning


I teach an American Girl class once a week in our homeschool co-op. I started with one class, and now I have two classes. The girls age range is 6-12 years old (1st-6th grade), need to read one book before each class, and I usually ask 5-6 discussion questions about the book. I recommend they own the books, and they can borrow them, but the library only has a few copies. The classes are one hour long. We do discussion questions, a craft and a snack. If we have time, we can do another craft or a ongoing activity that takes more than one week. 

I do charge a fee. I charge $50 a semester, which includes a folder, copies, and all crafts. I get most of my ideas from Jamin, another homeschool blogger that I found several years ago. The time it takes me varies. I would say an hour or two each week outside of the class. I read the book (30-60 minutes), gather craft supplies and make a sample ahead of time. I try to shop for the supplies all at one time, but sometimes it gets broken up into 2 or 3 trips. I used to shop for supplies every week, and it got to be too challenging. I usually shop at Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby and sometimes Jo-Anns or Michaels. 

This semester, I read all of the 12 books ahead of time, over Christmas break. It is nice to have them read ahead of time so that I am not trying to read while preparing and planning. I do try to buy the books. I have three daughters, and I know they will enjoy reading the books over and over. I have enjoyed most of the books, and learning history along with my students.

There are some companion books, called Welcome to ---'s World, of which I own several, and they are very handy to have. They offer lots of extra information that I can use in class. I like the extra stories to read if we have a few extra minutes.  There are some cook books and craft books at our library which are helpful too. I haven't used them all, but have found some great ideas in them. The extra books are worth checking into as well.

I have my elementary teaching degree from college, and it is nice to be able to use it with these girls! I also enjoy crafts a lot, and so it is fun to blend the two into a neat class! It is one of the more popular classes in our co-op. I have two classes with 12 girls in each class. I began with 15 students in my class, and it was tough with our limited space and the varied age ranges. I have two moms help in my class each week and one mom brings the snack, and I try to provide the recipe for them. Sometimes Jamin has a recipe, sometimes I just find one online.

Let me know if you have any questions, if I haven't answered something. The 12 classes in our semester always goes so quickly! I enjoy sharing God's love with the girls each week too. They are a blessing to me!




Exodus 31:4-5

...to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. 
They fashioned the breastpiece—the work of a skilled craftsman. They made it like the ephod: of gold, and of blue, purple and scarlet yarn, and of finely twisted linen.



Acts 17:26
From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...