Friday, March 22, 2013

Recipe: "Conga Bars"

These delicious treats are from my mother-in-law's cookbook that she gave my hubby before we were married. These are also called "Blonde Brownies". They are so yummy and easy to make!

One time when my hubby and I were newly married, we went on canoe/raft trip with his parents, sister, some friends (a couple, their teenage son and his friend.) The two teenage boys were in kayaks on the river that day. My hubby and I had a canoe. His parents, sister and the couple were in their blue raft all together. One section of the river had some rapids and we took on water. Most of the food was protected in the cooler, but for some reason the Conga Bars were out, just in a 
 bag. Apparently the bag had holes, and when the raft took on water, the bag did too. The Conga Bars ended up all wet, and I remember my mom-in-law was not happy about it!
Here is the recipe for the deliciousness...

Conga Bars
Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup chopped nuts
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In medium saucepan or microwave, melt shortening. Pour melted shortening into large mixing bowl and add brown sugar. Stir. Cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time. Beat well. Add dry ingredients, nuts and chocolate chips. Spread into greased 9 X 13" pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cut into squares when cool. Store in an airtight container (or they will get a little hard.)


Definitely not low-fat, but the walnuts make them nutritious, right?

Let me know if you try this recipe, I'd love to hear your review!


2 Samuel 22:29
You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light.

Psalm 139:11-12
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

Isaiah 9:2
The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deepdarkness a light has dawned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...