Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Stand up straight! {like your mother told you!}

Stand up straight!  {like your mother told you!}

Do you have troubles with your posture? I know I do, and I wrote about my back pain here. I was not taught to stand up straight as a child and was a pro at slouching. As a result, I struggle with posture problems and back pain to this day. I know I feel and look better, have less tension in my back and shoulders and my spine feels longer. In short, good posture makes me feel good. (I am just not conscious of it!)
image found here

When I went to physical therapy during junior high, my therapist taught me several things to do for best posture. Here they are:

-Put your shoulders back. Do not arch your back, but just place your shoulders over your back so you're not hunched over. I am guilty of this quite often.

-Stand with your knees bent a little. If you are too stiff in the legs you will have leg pain and could potentially pass out.

-Tuck in your bottom. Sticking out your rump can lead to the sway back look, and is not posturally correct.

-Puff out your chest and breasts and open your rib cage. This helps you breathe easier too!

-Tuck in your chin, try not to stick it out. This will ease neck pain in those muscles too.

-Keep your weight on the balls of your feet. Resting on your heels can cause you to slouch.

-Ideally you'd have a line connecting your ear, shoulder, hip, back of your knee and ankle. You could try this technique using a string and a weight. (Read more here.)

-While sitting, try not to hunch over your desk or computer. Choosing a good chair at the right height helps too.


*Remember the feeling you have of standing up correctly, and practice it against a wall or in a mirror. It really does make a difference!

Good posture can help you remain limber and maintain your balance (my Wii helps me there!). Your posture tells others about the way you are and your level of self confidence. There are several exercises that you can do to help with your posture, such as chin tuck, chin drop. Other exercises that may help can be found here. Training your core muscles will help your posture too.

I look forward to seeing all of my readers with perfect posture from now on! :-D


Leviticus 19:32
“‘Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the Lord.

Psalm 20:8
They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm.

Luke 21:28
When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Acts 26:15-16

 “Then I asked, ‘Who are you, Lord?’  “ ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,’ the Lord replied. 16 ‘Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen and will see of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...