Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Craft: Name Plaques

This is a craft idea that I found in a book by Marilyn Boyer (a homeschool mother of 14!) called Fun Projects for Hands-On Character Building. I heard Marilyn speak at a homeschool conference years ago and I really liked her talks. She discussed lots of the ideas in the book, and one that I really liked was about Name Plaques. She discusses that people tend to live up to the meaning of their names. She says it is important that parents know the meanings of the names of their children and work to attach special literal, Biblical and character connotations to them.

Her directions in the book were pretty simple: make or buy a plaque. You can find a motif of your child's name on a card, possibly at a Christian book store. You can also make your own on special paper by printing, drawing or writing with calligraphy. She says to be sure to include a Bible verse with some reference to a character quality reflected in the meaning of their name. To finish the plaque, use your favorite decoupage lacquer.

I have found these plaques at several craft stores. They cost a few dollars each. I have a calligraphy font on my computer, so I have the design laid out now and I just type in the name/ verse and print. (I do know how to write calligraphy, but the computer allows it to be more consistent and easier to make!)  I have made many of these plaques over the years for friends' and family member's new babies. The one above is one that I recently made for my new niece. I love that they can have the meaning of their name and a Bible verse related to the meaning just for them-- hanging in their home. I have one for each of my children near their beds and we read it occasionally to remind them of the meaning of their name.



The book that I use to find the meaning of their name and related Bible verse is called The Name Book by Dorothy Astoria. You can find it on Amazon.com here. The names are found alphabetically, each entry has various spellings, language/ cultural origin, inherent meaning, spiritual connotation and a scripture. Our daughter Bethany's inherent meaning is 'house of figs' and the verse is about figs (Matt. 7:16). We decided we liked the meaning of Beth Ann more, which has a nicer verse included (Acts 2:39). So we used the book as a guide for the meanings, but took a little liberty there!

I cut the printed paper and apply it to the plaque with Mod Podge (my favorite decoupage lacquer). It does take several hours or overnight to dry. Then I put a hanger back on it so it can easily be hung on the wall. I enjoy seeing them in my family and friends' homes!

Btw, my name means "youthful" which I have known for many years. I always thought that was part of the reason that I enjoy children and teaching!

Do you have any similar crafts that you've made for children in your life? I'd love to hear about them!


Genesis 3:20
Now the man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all the living.

Genesis 17:5
“No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.

Genesis 29:35
And she conceived again and bore a son and said, “This time I will praise the Lord.” Therefore she named him Judah. Then she stopped bearing.

John 1:42
He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas” (which is translated Peter).

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...