Monday, December 16, 2013

Music Monday: "Child in a Manger"

This CD is one of our favorites, by a band called "First Call". They aren't together anymore, but we saw two of the three original members in concert once, and got this CD shortly after. I heard this song yesterday and had it "in my head" all evening and this morning. Then at church, we discussed Luke 1, and Mary's song, "The Magnificat". On the same page in my study Bible were the lyrics to this hymn, written by Mary Macdougall Macdonald (1789-1872) originally in Gaelic. It was translated into English after her death. I had no idea that this song was an older hymn! I think it was providential that I saw the lyrics on the page in my Bible the night after I heard it. I thought it would be a nice one to share with my blog readers! It's a different song, not one you hear often at Christmas...


First Call - "Child In The Manger" 



Child in the manger
Infant of Mary
Came as a stranger
Born in a stall
Sweet little Jesus
Sent down from heaven
God's gift of new life
Offered to all

Once the most Holy
Child of salvation
Gently and lowly
Lay here below
Blessed peacemaker
Mighty redeemer
See Him victorius
Over each foe

Prophets foretold Him
Infant of wonder
Angels behold Him
There on His throne
Worthy the Savior
Of all our praises
Happy and ever
Blessed are His own



image found here


I had a hard time finding a video or recording of this song to listen to... :-(I hope you still enjoyed the lyrics and can maybe find it on iTunes...

Luke 2:10-16

But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
    and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”
16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...