Thursday, March 20, 2014

American Girl class: Josefina #2: Week 2

We had a great Josefina class this week!

After discussing Josefina Learns a Lesson, (book 2), we began our craft of waist pouches. Josefina wore a waist pouch in the first book and put flowers inside it. For the craft, I gave each girl a piece of imitation leather (or just regular brown) fabric measuring 16 X 6 inches. I cut one end into a point by measuring down three inches and making a point on the short end. I punched five holes onto each side of the fabric when it was folded (ten unfolded). The straight short end was folded to meet the edge before the point (see photo below). Then I gave each girl a one yard piece of tan twine or jute to sew the sides together. I also gave them one piece of tan yarn to make the belts. The two top holes that match up are for tying on the belt.

The girls had the fabric folded and used the twine to sew up the sides. Then they added the belt. We looped a piece of twine through a hole punched in the triangle. On that twine the girls added three beads to decorate it and help hold it closed. It was not very hard for most of the girls, the knot-tying was the hardest. I loved seeing the girls wearing them! When I asked what they could put in it, one girl said, "A lemon!" LOL

 After we finished the waist pouch, we had tortillas with goat cheese for snack. The girls mostly liked the goat cheese, I was surprised. It tasted a lot like cream cheese to me. In the 2:00 class we also had salsa in the tortilla. Yum!
 We worked on our cardboard loom weaving again too. The girls were happy to work on them!
 The 2:00 class...

 Rolling up snack...
 Tying knots...
This mom was serving the snack. I am so thankful for my mom helpers who make my job easier! The girls enjoy learning from them too! 

We discussed some spanish words. I wrote them on a small white board, and the girls guessed what they were. Everything I wrote was something to wear. The girls had a fun time guessing what "zapatos" and "pantalones" were! (Shoes and pants)

We will have no class next week for Spring Break. Then we only have FOUR weeks left of class! We are really enjoying Josefina. I love working with these girls, and I will miss them next week!

I hope I wasn't in a fog too much during class this week. I am taking medicine for my allergies which makes me very sleepy. I tried to ignore it, but I hope I didn't seem air headed or like I was ignoring anyone!
------------------------------------------------------------

Genesis 42:35
As they were emptying their sacks, there in each man’s sack was his pouch of silver! When they and their father saw the money pouches, they were frightened. (From the story of Joseph and his brothers)

1 Samuel 17:40
Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine. (From the story of David and Goliath)

Isaiah 11:5
Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around his waist.

Ephesians 6:13-15
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,  and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...