Friday, March 7, 2014

Gluten- free cornbread/muffins

So the past two weeks I have been trying a gluten-free diet. There is an older woman in our church that has gluten-free for a long time, and she put some great recipes in our most recent church cookbook. We have been trying some of her recipes and have found they are great! Here are a few below...

Gluten-Free Flour for a baking mix
1 c. white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour

Combine all flours and sift at least 3 times to blend them well. Make 2 or 3 batches (I did 4) and store in an airtight container for future use. This is one of many combinations of different types of flours.

Note: Xanthan gum or gar gum is essential to all gluten free baking. Cakes, cookies, etc.,

*I quadrupled this recipe so that I didn't have several bags sitting around my pantry. My friend said she substitutes this flour recipe for any recipe that includes flour.

Perfect Cornbread
1 cup Gluten Free baking mix
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

Sift together baking mix, salt, cornmeal, xanthan gum, sugar and baking powder. Combine eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry mixture. Mix well. Add a little more milk if too thick (mine was not thick at all!) Bake in an 8 X 8-inch pan or muffin pan. Bake at 425 for 20 to 25 minutes.We loved it-- very corn-y!


Quick and Easy Muffins
1/4 c sugar
2 Tbsp Crisco
2 eggs
1 cup Gluten Free baking mix
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream sugar and Crisco, then add eggs. Sift together baking mix, salt, xanthan gum and baking powder. Add to the creamed mix, alternating with milk and vanilla. If you think it's too thick, add a little milk. I suggest you add 1/2 cup of blueberries. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in muffin pan or 8 X 8-inch pan.

Have you ever gone gluten-free? Do you have any good recipes that you've found? I'd love to hear about them! Let me know if you try the recipes above and what you think of them!
-----------------------------------------------------

Deuteronomy 9:9
When I went up on the mountain to receive the tablets of stone, the tablets of the covenant that the Lord had made with you, I stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights; I ate no bread and drank no water.

John 6:35
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

John 6:51
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...