Thursday, March 19, 2015

American Girl: Samantha week 1 (Time #2)

This week was our first week of Samantha for this Spring! After we read and discussed Meet Samantha, we discussed telephones and played with a tin-can phone a little bit. Then we began our cute, frilly craft!
 For craft, we made calling card boxes. I found the boxes on Joann.com. I used some scrap fabric that I had from other crafts to cover the boxes and I bought lace to go around the edge. The girls each got one piece of pink & white fabric to cover the top, one to go around the box top and another to go around the box bottom. They each got 12" of lace. We used regular school & craft glue, and it was not easy to stick on the lace. The fabric was fine to stick with craft glue, but the lace didn't stick as well. I should have brought a hot glue gun!
 Gluing the fabric onto the wooden boxes while chatting with friends!
 When the boxes were done, I gave the girls each small pieces of card stock to decorate with their name (and phone # if they wanted) and stickers. After they were decorated, we traded names with each other to put inside our boxes! These boxes were used because many people didn't have telephones in 1904, so they would stop by to visit a friend. If the friend was not home, they would leave their own "calling card" in the box that was in the parlor of the home. It was fun to think about and discuss, it is so different from our instant texting/ email/ cell phone world we live in now!


We had jelly biscuits for snack, you can find the recipe here. In the first book, Samantha watches ants eat a jelly biscuit part that was left on the floor! We liked them, they were yummy!

I took time toward the end of class to read a few pages from Welcome to Samantha's World. It was very interesting to see the pictures of "new" technology they had in 1904! We liked the pictures of the telephone, the shower and the crowded city streets of New York (with horse & carriages, trolleys and cars!) We will read more pages of Welcome to Samantha's World again soon!

We will have time off next week for Spring Break, then we will come back and discuss Samantha Learns a Lesson!



A few verses about visiting...

Genesis 34:1
[ Dinah and the Shechemites ] Now Dinah, the daughter Leah had borne to Jacob, went out to visit the women of the land.

Matthew 25:35-37
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

Acts 9:32
As Peter traveled about the country, he went to visit the Lord’s people who lived in Lydda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...