Friday, April 3, 2015

7 Experiment for Lent: Week 6- Spending

This week for 7, which is based on the book 7:An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker, was to shop at only 7 places for the week. I don't feel like we are excessive shoppers and spenders, but I know sometimes we spend for fun or boredom. 7 has really changed the way I shop, and this week was no exception.

The first day of the week, I forgot until part way through the morning that it was my switch-over day. (Probably because it was Spring Break) Of course, my hubby and I had planned to shop that day and that evening too. We looked at two stores in the morning and bought something. Well, Joshua bought something. I didn't contribute anything to one place, but the other place was part of last week's planning left over. Since last week of 7 was waste, we have been working on our garden. We looked for vermiculite to begin preparing the garden for seeds, but we didn't find it. We also looked at items for the square foot idea, and for another handmade trellis. We did find some items there.

In the evening that day, we went to Kohl's to purchase shoes for our son, because he REALLY needed them. We had a coupon and found a nice pair there. His other TWO pair of shoes were falling apart, with more than one hole in each one. My hubby made the purchases there too, but I helped pick them out and I looked at a few other things, but did not buy anything for me. (7 was running through my head...)
My list of 7 places for this week included City Market (grocery store), Target, online bill pay, Jo-Anns (for crafts to do during Spring break), Lowe's, Del Taco and Jamberry Nails (somewhat by accident). My sister-in-law was going to a Jamberry nails open house on Saturday morning, so I tagged along. I bought some nail polish there (didn't even think about 7!) A few of the places I went to several times-- such as Jo-Ann's (even though I love Hobby Lobby!), the grocery store and Target. I did curb my spending a few times-- my son needs new baseball pants, but I have put it off. Also, I found I was CRAVING McAlister's sweet tea-- which I rarely have. So I looked up a recipe online and my made own version. Not exactly the same, but it curbed my craving.

In the days before I began this week, we spent different ways, such as at a quilt show (crafty patterns and ideas), paying the piano teacher, items for my American Girl class, bought ice cream at Cold Stone, and other small things. There are so many times that we just don't think about spending money on small things. Some things are necessary, but other things are just "wants." This week helped put things into priorities for me.

I like what Mrs. Hatmaker says in this chapter about spending. One of the areas that she talks about is eating and eating out. Another author that she quotes said, "I'm voting three times a day with my fork for a wholesome food supply." She talks a lot about making healthier food choices for her family, and looking at all we need in the world to sustain ourselves. We have a stewardship responsibility to earth, and to God. We can't answer for the way another Christian mismanaged money or their irresponsible consumption. We can only answer for our own choices. (p 330-331)

 She also talks about the mentality of this quote, "Just because I can have it, doesn't mean that I should." We rationalize in lots of different ways when we purchase things... It's no big deal... We can afford it... I've worked hard for my money, so I can spend it how I want... I deserve this... etc., So we spend, amass, indulge and indulge some more, item by item. Jesus talks about tithing, and the mentality that Christians have about it, and tells us to "turn out our pockets and give generously to the poor," in Luke 11:37-42. (p. 330, 331, 333, 334). Mrs. Hatmaker reminds us that this is a fast, and a fast is about making sacrifices or it's not a fast. The discomfort is where the magic happens." (p 340)

What if we had friends to our homes instead of going to coffee together? What if we went on walks together instead of seeing a movie? What if we got outside more and got to know our neighbors? What if we played games in the front yard with the kids instead of buying a new app or video game? It might just changes our lives... a little at a time. Food for thought, for sure!

What about you? Have you ever tried to curb your spending for a time, or done a "spending freeze?"


Ecclesiastes 5:10
Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Isaiah 55:2
Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.

Luke 16:13
“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...