Thursday, October 29, 2015

American Girl class: Kit week 1 (time #2)

This week in our American Girl class, we reviewed the book, Meet Kit and discussed the Depression era. I told some stories that my grandmother had told me about life during the Depression. 

For our craft, we made a felt sports banner with white felt and stickers. I cut a long triangle measured 8" X 20" for each girl. I gave the girls some felt and foam stickers and had some felt scraps that the girls could cut. The banners were not very sports oriented, but were much more flowery and girly! 

 For our snack, we had Sponge Cake & Iced Tea, like Kit's mother and her friends ate at their Garden Club meetings.  The girls mostly liked the cake and the sweet tea that we had. 

Also in book 1, Kit moves out of her room into the attic. Many people lost their homes during the Depression and had to live in a home with many people, like Kit's home, or in an apartment. We had a printed paper suitcase, you can find the template here. The girls seemed to enjoy coloring them and they wrote what they'd pack if they needed to move, or what Kit would have packed in her suitcase.
 Cutting our flowers and letters for their banners...
 The banners are white, same color as the table!

 I loved their creativity and variety of what to put on their banner flags...
 The finished products!

 The 2:00 class working on their pennants...

 They worked more slowly and carefully... I helped this girl with her letters, but I was drawing on the back of them, didn't think about them coming out backwards-- oops! She liked it anyway!

 I really enjoyed the class this week, and I'm looking forward to talking more about Kit over the next several weeks!


The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...