Thursday, December 10, 2015

American Girl class: Kit class #6 (time #2)

We had another delightful class in American Girls this week! This was our final class for the fall semester, and the craft that I was a little nervous about! After we reviewed the book, Changes for Kit, I explained our craft.

In preparation for making mittens with polar fleece, I had bought red polar fleece every time I was at the craft store and saw it on clearance. It was a great way to buy it! I cut two pieces of red fleece for each girl, and measured it 12" x 12. Last time I did this class, I traced my ten-year-old son's hand, and my six-year-old daughter's hand, added three-quarters of seam allowance around, and made two tracer patterns for each. This worked well, since the girls were 6, 10 or in-between. I think only 2 of the 16 girls made them a little small! (Sorry, moms, I tried to encourage them to use the bigger tracers!)
My daughter took some photos of me sewing!
After they traced onto the fleece with a washable marker, they cut out the mittens. (The nice fabric scissors worked the best for this...) I explained that the girls needed to be sure they were cutting correctly, because I didn't have extra fleece for them if they made a mistake! Thankfully, I had moms who helped me and that made it easier too. Once the girls had their four pieces cut out (front and back for each hand), they brought them to me or another mom (thanks again to my mom volunteers that helped me sew on machines, it was so easy!)

Showing off their mittens!
 I left the cuff open, and the girls could add an old sock cuff to it if they wanted a cuff. I think they are fine the way they are! Most of the girls were quite happy with them, and it was a nice time of year to make them! I was glad it was an easier craft than I thought it would be... schwoo!

 The 2:00 class made them too!


For snack, we had Soup kitchen soup and homemade bread, which most of the girls enjoyed. 


I had thought maybe we could play checkers & dominoes, but we didn't have enough time. I read about President Roosevelt, his first "Hundred Days" in office and "The New Deal," from the Welcome to Kit's World book.

It was a wonderful class, but I can hardly believe that we are already finished with Kit! Next semester we'll study Molly and Julie! I'll miss seeing all these great girls over the Christmas break...


Exodus 26:31
“Make a curtain of blue, purple and scarlet yarn and finely twisted linen, with cherubim woven into it by a skilled worker.

Proverbs 31:21
When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

Matthew 27:27-29
They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him,29 and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...