Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Word of the year review 2015

Some of my diligent readers may remember this post about my word for 2015: Humility/ Humble. I feel like I have been humbled in several ways this year. Nothing major, but just in the day-to-day aches, pains and trials, I have been humbled that I cannot live this life on earth alone. I need God, each and every day. When I try to go about my days without him, it often leads to frustration and despair. When I begin my days with prayers and reading His Word, dedicating the day to Him, everything is a bit easier and my load has been lifted, as it says in Matthew 11:28-30: Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

God has proved His faithfulness to us over and over. When we humble ourselves and pray, He guides us. When we offer our lives to Him in humility, He can do big things. My youngest daughter accepted Jesus into her heart this year, shortly after Easter. What a wise choice she made! Her sweet faith touches my heart. This was not my work, but God's.  "When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."  Mark 10:14  This is the same girl who told us over and over at Christmas, "Jesus is what Christmas is all about, not Santa!" She did not spoil anything for her cousins who still believe in Santa, however.

I like the concept of focusing on One Word for the year. It usually leads me to memorize verses related to the word too. I'm so thankful that God gave us words to communicate with each other and with Him. John 1 talks about how the Word was God, and the Word was with God. He was with God in the beginning. (John 1:1-2) Who is the Word? Jesus! God in the triune was together in the beginning of all time! Our pastor talked about this concept recently, and I had never thought of this passage that way!

From my original post:
Upon reviewing the Greek and Hebrew words for humility, I found definitions meaning: to bring down low, submit or debase self, submit, put down, subdue, lowly. 

As Christians, we are exhorted to put on humility (Col. 3:12), be clothed with humility (1 Peter 5:5), to work with humility (Eph. 4:1-2) and avoid false humility (Col. 3:18-23)

This concept will not end with 2015. I will continue working on putting on humility for the rest of my life! God is not finished with me yet, and I am so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...