Thursday, February 11, 2016

American Girl: Molly Week 3 (time #2)

We had another fabulous American Girl class this week! For class we read Molly’s Surprise (book 3 in the Molly series) and talked about it.  We also discussed Christmas in the 1940’s and Dad being away for a long period. 
Our craft this week was a Pipe cleaner ornaments and a letter to Dad. We made ornaments like was shown in the back of the book, on page 62. It was pretty easy for most of the girls. I didn't give them all Christmas colored pipe cleaners, so they could use the ornament to decorate their room if they wanted. They just bent the pipe cleaners into a star type shape. We bent one pipe cleaner around our finger as a hanger.

Our snack in class this week will be: Cinnamon Sticky Buns. You can find a recipe using refrigerated biscuits here: http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Breakfast-Brunch/Cinnamon-Sticky-Buns
 The girls really liked this snack!!


After our snack, I taught the girls how to address an envelope (p. 12) and then we wrote a letter to their Dads. Molly does this in the first chapter of the book, and I thought it would be a good thing to teach the girls. I think in this day and age of emails, texts and phone calls, letters and letter-writing is getting to be a lost art. I think it is still important for students to learn to write a letter. 

 Girls writing letters to their dads...

We had a chalkboard on the wall in our room that I used to write ideas for the girls. This worked well, and the girls could look at how to spell our town's name. I also have a list of their addresses which was very useful this class time!

 Some of the girls put some nice detail into their letters, and others had a harder time writing much. I am sure their Dads will enjoy the letters. I put stamps on them when I got home, and hope they will go out in the mail soon. Most of the girls wrote Valentine's day greetings since our class was just before Valentine's Day this year.

Here is the 2:00 class...




It was another fun class day... the time went by quickly! I had thought about singing "Joy to the World" but we ran out of time! I hope the Dads enjoy their letters!


2 Corinthians 3:2
You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody.

2 Corinthians 3:3
You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

Hebrews 13:22
Brothers, I urge you to bear with my word of exhortation, for I have written you only a short letter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...