Thursday, April 21, 2016

American Girl class: Julie week 6 (time #2)

American Girl class: Julie Week 6

We had another great American Girl class this week! First I handed out the tie-dyed shirts from last class. (*Be sure to wash the shirts ALONE the first few times so you won't dye any other clothes!) We reviewed book five in the Julie series, Changes for Julie, we discussed having a deaf friend and practiced sign language, including the alphabet, numbers, colors and a few other signs.  I gave each girl a printed copy of the sign language alphabet that I found here.
 For our Craft, we made “Campaign” Buttons. I gave each of the girls a 3" x 4" piece of white card stock. I had cardstock circles and squares which I had for tracing. After they traced them, they cut out their circle and decorated it with markers. Then I took their decorated circle and laminated it with my laminator from home. After each piece was laminated, the girls cut out their piece and glued a pin-back on it. Voila! A button!

I had debated covering the buttons with mod-podge, but thought it would take too long to dry as well as being messy. I also thought of covering them with clear packing tape, but thought that would bubble. So laminating worked well! The glue dots with the pins worked and adhered easily (better than hot glue!)
 Tracing and coloring their buttons...
  Our snack this week was Nachos and Hawaiian punch. The girls really liked it!

The 2:00 class:
 Tracing the circles for buttons... I was bummed during this class when one of the girl's buttons got jammed in my laminator (which never happened before?!) and then my laminator died. ; - (
 Enjoying snack...
 One of the girls' buttons said NO BOYS! (She said that did not include family, she loves her brothers.)
Since we had extra time, I brought this printable found here, for the girls to cut out and write about the changes in Julie's life-- not just in this book but in the whole Julie series. 
It was another wonderful class!

So that is the end of our American Girl cycle! We have gone through all of the main American Girls, (from Kaya-Julie) and we will restart the cycle beginning with Kaya again in the fall. 

I have loved getting to know all of my girls and their families in my classes! I will miss them LOTS over the summer.


Exodus 4:11
The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?

Leviticus 19:14
“‘Do not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block in front of the blind, but fear your God. I am the Lord.

Matthew 11:5
The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...