Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Scared

When you're a kid, you get scared at silly things, right? Well, having shows on TV like "Scooby Doo" and "Casper the Friendly Ghost" didn't help! What child born in the 80's didn't watch or at least see those two shows? I know my older brothers and I watched Scooby Doo often. It's funny to me that my kids watch the same show now, and I laugh when they talk about "if it weren't for those meddling kids..." It's basically the same plot in every show!



So I knew about ghosts. Halloween was filled with ghosts-- think kids dressed in white sheets-- which were so creepy to me. My older brothers liked to scare me and probably said things like "Ooo-ooo!" I don't remember exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised. My parents even liked to jump out and scare each other in the dark.

I was the firstborn girl in my house and was quite privileged to have my *own room* for 10 years. I was the envy of my two older brothers because they had to share their bedroom! I remember my Mom having me clean my room, and I stuffed everything in the closet and under the bed. Which worked until she opened the bulging closet... I wonder how she knew... she probably walked by and saw me doing it! (Now that I am a mother, I know these things, also I can hear them...)

I had a "big" full-sized bed in my olive green room. I had olive green furniture, purchased from my uncle's juvenile furniture store. I had a large corner desk (read: hard to move), a six-drawer dresser, matching headboard and shelf unit which I had pieces of even after we were married. They had white laminate tops.

So I would lay in my bed at night, in my room alone. I had a high window. Sometimes the moon would shine just right, and illuminate my closet on the other wall. It was just enough light so that the white clothes had an eerie glow. I did not like this. I just KNEW there was a white ghost in there, just waiting to come out and scare little me!

My main remedy for this, when calling mom and dad didn't help, was to close the closet doors. I mean, then the ghosts couldn't get out. I think I knew they were clothes, but who could be sure?! Closing the doors was the only remedy.

When my oldest daughter was younger, Monsters, Inc. came out and we saw it on video. Cute movie, except of course for the one time that the monster SCARES the girl! Ruined the whole movie for us. Nightmares for months. Ugh. Thanks, Pixar for that fun. But monsters do live in closets...

Even now, I have a *thing* now about my closet doors being closed at night. And my children's closet doors are always closed too. They can't even get scared about ghosts in their closets. But then, my middle daughter says the curtains have creepy shapes...

My closet doors are closed every night, mostly out of habit. My hubby teases me, but I can't leave them open unless it's maybe an inch. I know there are no ghosts, but it just looks nicer that way... (wink, wink)


When the disciples saw Jesus walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 
(He must have been illuminated like a light!)

Luke 24:39
Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” (Jesus)


Acts 2:38
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...