The Nadel family- Enjoy reading our everyday adventures!


Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Ways to fight the January blahs...

Been wanting to post this for several days... hope it is still useful now, since January is almost over!

Last week, I had a case of the January blahs. The doldrums. The feeling of something has to change. The weather was bad every day-- icy and snowy. My husband had taken our mini-van to work each day since his VW bug is not too good in the snow. I felt a little trapped. I guess I could have taken my daughter's car out, but the roads were still bad.

I asked my friends on Facebook for ideas to beat the January blahs. Here are some of their ideas, and a few of my own added in...

-Start a new puzzle, preferably with cheery colors!
HERE IS A PUZZLE WE MADE...
-Buy a new nail polish color and paint your nails.
-Start a new craft, sewing project or cross stitch project (or finish an old one.)
-Read, read and read some more!
-Go out to coffee with a friend.
-Use a full spectrum light for more sunlight-type light, in case of Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD, which comes with the changing of the seasons, and less sunlight. I have a light like this, and it does help sometimes.
-Exercise--ideas were walking (walking the dog, but we don't have one!), yoga, skiing and cross-country skiing.
-Buy flowers on clearance at the grocery store. Let the sunshine in!
-Clean and declutter! Do spring cleaning early!
-Nerf wars with the kids!
-Wear bright colors and get outside!
-Wear silly socks (which I usually do.)
-Look through art books, like Van Gogh or Vermeer.
-Look at cookbooks and try new recipes.
-Play lots of games since you are indoors so much. We do this a lot!
-Wear an essential oil that is uplifting. (lemon, orange, tangerine, grapefruit-- any citrus oil or a blend!)
-Start planning your garden. Try something new like loofah sponges or peanuts!
-Go to the pool.
-Watch funny movies!
-Be thankful for that snow that is good for our state!
-Remember that January gives us a great appreciation for other months!
-Listen to upbeat music-- lately my favorite has been FFH!
-Update my blog more!

I hope these help someone, as they helped me with my blahs. If you are really depressed, or having suicidal thoughts, please see a Doctor soon. That is more serious than just a case of blahs, especially if it last more than a few days!


Psalm 31:24
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

Psalm 37:4
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...