Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Ways to fight the January blahs...

Been wanting to post this for several days... hope it is still useful now, since January is almost over!

Last week, I had a case of the January blahs. The doldrums. The feeling of something has to change. The weather was bad every day-- icy and snowy. My husband had taken our mini-van to work each day since his VW bug is not too good in the snow. I felt a little trapped. I guess I could have taken my daughter's car out, but the roads were still bad.

I asked my friends on Facebook for ideas to beat the January blahs. Here are some of their ideas, and a few of my own added in...

-Start a new puzzle, preferably with cheery colors!
HERE IS A PUZZLE WE MADE...
-Buy a new nail polish color and paint your nails.
-Start a new craft, sewing project or cross stitch project (or finish an old one.)
-Read, read and read some more!
-Go out to coffee with a friend.
-Use a full spectrum light for more sunlight-type light, in case of Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD, which comes with the changing of the seasons, and less sunlight. I have a light like this, and it does help sometimes.
-Exercise--ideas were walking (walking the dog, but we don't have one!), yoga, skiing and cross-country skiing.
-Buy flowers on clearance at the grocery store. Let the sunshine in!
-Clean and declutter! Do spring cleaning early!
-Nerf wars with the kids!
-Wear bright colors and get outside!
-Wear silly socks (which I usually do.)
-Look through art books, like Van Gogh or Vermeer.
-Look at cookbooks and try new recipes.
-Play lots of games since you are indoors so much. We do this a lot!
-Wear an essential oil that is uplifting. (lemon, orange, tangerine, grapefruit-- any citrus oil or a blend!)
-Start planning your garden. Try something new like loofah sponges or peanuts!
-Go to the pool.
-Watch funny movies!
-Be thankful for that snow that is good for our state!
-Remember that January gives us a great appreciation for other months!
-Listen to upbeat music-- lately my favorite has been FFH!
-Update my blog more!

I hope these help someone, as they helped me with my blahs. If you are really depressed, or having suicidal thoughts, please see a Doctor soon. That is more serious than just a case of blahs, especially if it last more than a few days!


Psalm 31:24
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

Psalm 37:4
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...