Wednesday, March 1, 2017

My favorite teachers

As a student over many years of my life, I remember many moments in the classroom, with all different teachers. I can remember being praised for my good penmanship in 3rd grade, learning to mix colors in kindergarten, learning about the state of Delaware in 5th grade, and much more. I remember laughing in classes, and being frustrated at times too.

While I remember many of the great teachers that I had, a few of them stand out in my mind.

1. Mrs. VS (4th grade)- I remember enjoying 4th grade. I don't remember anything particular now, but I remember that my younger sister was born while I was in 4th grade, and my teacher was pregnant toward the end of the year. I remember the teacher's smile and how she listened to us. I remember she made each one of us feel special, even though we were different. I remember where my classroom was in the building, and where my desk was. It was a fun year.

2. Mrs. W- I had this teacher for a few years, as she was in my junior high for the first few years and moved to the high school when I was there. I remember diagramming sentences in her English class, and enjoying writing that year. In high school, she was our super-cool drama teacher and directed us in many plays. I never had a huge role or did anything too wonderful, but I had lots of fun in her classes. I enjoyed reading plays. One time I even had a short one-act play where I got to play a teenage boy! I remember pulling my hair up in a hat, and a friend told me that I looked like my older brother! I remember working with our director/ teacher on costumes, selling tickets, gathering props and more. I remember during my senior year, my parents separated for a time. It was very hard on me, being the oldest child at home. It was just weird having my parents be apart. I held things together a little bit at home, but at school I vented a lot to my friends and teachers. Well, my amazing drama teacher heard my unfortunate news, and wrote me an encouraging note, which I treasured at the time. When I travelled with my drama club to New York City during the summer after graduation, it was this teacher who was our chaperone with her husband. I have many wonderful memories of that trip, which I still enjoy remembering. We got to see "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway! How awesome is that?!

3. Ms. P (college)- During many years, I struggled in math. In high school, I took as little math as I could, including omitting Algebra II, which I regretted later. I had to take Basic Algebra and Intermediate Algebra for a year before I could take College Algebra. I began College Algebra with a teacher that was a little challenging for me. My friend Angie had a great teacher, and encouraged me to switch classes to be with her. I did, and I never regretted it! Her teacher was Ms. P, who became one of my favorite teachers. I passed College Algebra, and went on to take Probability and Statistics with, you guessed it, Ms. P! One day in class, she was working on the board, and I was totally lost. I must have had a confused look on my face, because the teacher stopped, looked at me, and said, "Jill, where did I lose you?" I was mildly shocked, as I had not said anything! I explained what I didn't understand, and she went back in front of the whole class to explain the problem again! I never forgot that moment, and the time that she took with me in her office explaining homework problems. She really cared for students.

It is interesting to me that while I don't remember exactly what my teachers instructed me, I remember how they cared about me individually and about my progress. I remember feeling encouraged, cared for and special in their classrooms. I hope to be a teacher like that each day in my home classroom, and when I teach other children.


Proverbs 6:23
For this command is a lamp, this teaching is a light, and correction and instruction are the way to life...

Proverbs 7:2
Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.

Luke 4:15
He (Jesus) was teaching in their synagogues, and everyone praised him.

Luke 4:32
They were amazed at his (Jesus') teaching, because his words had authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...