Monday, March 13, 2017

Spring allergies

Allergies. Some people get them in the fall. Others get them in the spring, like me. Some people get them in both seasons, others not at all.

My allergies usually show up the 2nd week of March. Some years they arrive around March 15. It begins for me with the itchy eyes. Then more sneezing than usual. Then the nose starts to itch on the end. Sometimes it runs more. I feel tired. Sometimes when my allergies are really bad, my eyes are swollen and my sinuses are really stuffed up. Occasionally my throat itches. It is not fun!

I've tried lots of over the counter medications, and I've found only a few that help. I take Claritin year round to help with allergies. During allergy season, I have taken Zyrtec for many years, but it makes me sleepy. All day long. Ugh. I've also taken eye drops (I like Zaditor) and prescription nasal spray, which I should have started already, but I ran out this spring!

A few years ago when I began to get into essential oils, I found the TriEase soft gels by doTerra. They were created to protects against seasonal and environmental elements. They help maintain clear breathing and healthy immune system function. They take a few days to kick in, and if I don't take them with lots of water, or eat afterward, I'll get heartburn.

Another natural supplement that my husband and I found that helps is a dissolvable pill called AllergieMittel. It helps very quickly.

I was tested for allergies about 17-18 years ago (my oldest was a baby) and found that I am allergic to juniper, which is in  75% of the yards in my valley. Sigh. It blooms in the spring, putting off a fine yellow powder. That powder is what I am allergic to. My allergist had a picture of it that he showed me when I visited his office.

I am also allergic to some animals: dogs, cats, horses and rabbits. So we do not have pets besides chickens that stay outdoors. I am also allergic to dust mites. So I vacuum our mattress at least once a year and wash our bedding frequently. Spring cleaning comes at the perfect time to coincide with my allergies. I have been cleaning a lot lately, washing bedding, curtains, dusting...


My family is allergic to many of the same things that I am. I am pretty sure that a few of my children are allergic to juniper too. I know a few are allergic to cats and dogs. We've only had our youngest daughter tested because she has eczema as well as allergies. My doctor told me that allergies, asthma and eczema are all tied together. Of course my husband had all three when he was younger.

My mom and one of my older brothers had more severe allergies than me and went through rounds of allergy shots. My brother was allergic to several kinds of grass and trees, but not me. I am thankful that my allergies are not worse.

So those allergy sufferers out there, I can sympathize with you. For those who have no allergies, I am jealous of you. I wish I could understand why God made some people allergic to things while others are not.

I have tried eating local honey too, that helps a little. Anybody else have any great helps? I'd love to hear your ideas! I'm not super desperate yet, but I do have a roller bottle of lemon/ lavender/ peppermint oils in my pocket. That reminds me, I need to refill that one...



Daniel 2:21
He changes times and seasons; he deposes kings and raises up others. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.

Acts 14:17
Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.”

Galatians 4:10
You are observing special days and months and seasons and years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...