Thursday, April 13, 2017

Lent 2017

Some of my more diligent readers may remember some of my other posts about Lent. Last year, I made a daily sacrifice of some sort, which I enjoyed. This year, I pondered about things I needed to do, different positive things that I could add in to my routine. The first thing that popped into my head was exercise. I have never been a super fit person. I'm happy to nap, read a book on the couch or play a game with the kids in my spare time. I knew it was something I needed to change, so I committed to walking and exercising more.
I got new Asics shoes as an early birthday present!

I have been walking more in the last year anyway. In our homeschool co-op, there is a mom that offers a free exercise class on Tuesday afternoons. I've attended that the past few years and enjoy that, but I felt like I needed more. My walks were pretty sporadic before, if I felt like I needed sleep more, I would take a nap.

But during Lent (from Ash Wednesday to Easter), I decided to walk or exercise every day. My goal per day is 5,000 steps. I just really never get over that, so I adjusted my goal to 5,000 instead of 10,000, because that is more achievable to me. According to my phone apps, I have met my goal way more often in the past 6 weeks than ever before. I have been using an app called "My Fitness Pal" that I can use to track steps, add in any exercise that I do each day, as well as track my diet, entering foods that I eat. My hubby encouraged me to use this app, and honestly I have enjoyed it.

So how did I do? How is this applicable to God?

Well, honestly, the results of this "exercise more" commitment have amazed me. I feel physically better ALL over. My back has hurt MUCH less. I've felt happier, and less achy overall. I've enjoyed getting out into God's creation, seeing the landscape change over the days and weeks, with Spring nearly happening before my eyes. I've enjoyed the fresh air, seeing neighbors and chatting, and getting out of the house.
I've prayed during my walks for anyone that pops into my brain. I've listened to Christian music on my headphones while I walked. I have really liked it. I've been encouraged and blessed through the exercise.

What did you do during Lent this year?

This has been a good, new habit for me to undertake. I think I will try to continue it this spring and early summer, maybe until it gets too hot...


Some verses about walking...

Genesis 13:17
Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you.” (God spoke to Abram)

Deuteronomy 6:7
Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

On the Road to Emmaus...
Luke 24:15
As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them;

Luke 24:17
He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?” They stood still, their faces downcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...