Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Naps

I love naps. I liked taking naps when I was in high school on Sunday afternoons, for FOUR hours. I still like taking naps. I've read many times how the average American does not get enough sleep. According to my sleep app on my phone, I average about 7 1/2 hours of sleep each night. If I take an hour nap, I feel so much better the rest of the day. Part of the reason I like naps now is that I get a break from my kids and my home duties. (As a homeschool mom, this is important sometimes!)

I also like naps because I have chronic back pain, due partly to scoliosis and kyphosis. If I lie down to rest my back, it will relax and not hurt as much. I don't slouch when I lie down. I feel less stressed if I nap too. 

Of course, I do not get a nap every day. I do nap often on Sunday afternoons. It is a nice time to rejuvenate after the busy Friday and Saturday, as they often are.

I've also read one hundred years ago, they got more sleep than we do now. Of course, they didn't have all of the technology that we have now. There were no TV's, VCR's, DVD players and movies to watch at home, and there were no CD's to listen to. If I had to try to read a book or hand-sew by candlelight, I'd probably go to bed earlier too!


 I think taking a break from the everyday grind is healthy too. I mean, there are people who go home for a siesta every day in other countries. Even God took time to rest after creating the earth and all that is in it. Why shouldn't we follow his example and rest too?

I loved napping when my babies did. I was actually sad when my oldest child turned five and didn't need to nap anymore. Of course, when they are sick my kids still nap. Now they just need to be quiet and read or play quietly while I nap. They can't leave the house or answer the door unless they know the friend or family member.
I know there are lots of people who can't nap or don't like naps. If naps are too long, I do get very groggy and can't fall asleep that night. But when I was in high school, I could take long naps-- no problem. Sometimes I wish I could nap like that again, but alas, there is too much to do! I will enjoy them when I can get them. I'm glad that my hair recovers from being slept on too!

What about you? Do you like naps or not?


Psalm 3:5
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.

Psalm 4:8
In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Proverbs 3:24
When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...