Thursday, May 18, 2023

My dad's services

Many of you probably know that my father recently passed away. You can read the post about it here: http://thywordisalamptomyfeet.blogspot.com/2023/05/my-dad.html 

We had his services on a Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago. We had a tough time finding a good day to hold the service when all of the grandkids could be there. Life gets busy in spring! We were thankful for the group that we had together. We had a dinner on Saturday evening for extended family from out of town. We all enjoyed that dinner, getting to see our cousins, aunts, uncles, and siblings. Our local Chick-Fil-A catered for us, and we had families from our church provide desserts. 



 On Sunday, some of us attended a church service at my parent's church. After lunch, we had a viewing for family and then friends. Toward the end of that time, the church showed a video of photos of my Dad's life. We gathered that evening at my Mom's house and hung out with extended family again. We enjoyed chatting for a long time. Each of my siblings and I spoke at the service about my Dad, and my oldest brother performed the service. Three of his grandkids spoke, including two of my kids. Everyone did a great job. 



Pallbearer grandsons



 On Monday afternoon, we had my Dad's military service at the Veteran's Cemetary. It was a nice time to honor my Dad for his Army service in Vietnam. He was never really honored when he came home, so it meant a lot to our family to honor my Dad in this way. The people at the Veterans' Cemetary were so kind and helpful. A friend of my parents did the sermon there, and his voice was filled with emotion the whole time that he spoke. My dad was very special to him. After the military service, my niece said that we should go to Dairy Queen because that is what Grandpa would have liked. So we did and enjoyed ice cream together. 

Playing together
Signing Mom's cast
My daughter and my brother


Our family friend shared the homily. He was wonderful!
My husband led one hymn
My dad's gravemarker and flowers
Our family after the graveside
Two of my brothers had to leave that morning, so there were just us 3 kids and my Mom.
My brother and his wife

 It was a lovely weekend. We were sad very often, as expected. It was really challenging at times. We all miss him so much. He loved us all so well, and he was very well-loved. He had a major impact on my life, and it is strange to live without him. I just want to call him and talk about things going on in my week. 

Mother's Day was strange to celebrate with just my Mom. She is doing okay, she has up and down times. She lives in a great neighborhood, and her neighbors check on her occasionally. We have caregivers that stop by her house every day too. She seems so sad and lonely. But that is part of grief, adjusting to the "new normal." I don't think it will feel normal anytime soon. Thank you for your friendship and prayers for my family during this busy time.


Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

Psalm 91:1-2
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

1 Corinthians 15:54-57
When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”
 “Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”

 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...