Friday, February 9, 2024

Be still...

I have a sign on the wall in my family room that says, “Be still, and know that I am God," a verse from Psalms. I have been thinking about this verse a lot lately. I don't seem to be still very often-- unless I'm trying to go to sleep. I am a busy Mom at home-- cooking, cleaning, grading papers, reading, crafting, driving to places, eating, drinking water, texting, reading emails, making phone calls... you get the picture.  I may be still while I am reading a book, but I am still doing SOMEthing. Sometimes while drinking coffee in the morning, I will sit and stare out my front window. 




Our society seems to value busyness. Everyone I know seems to be busy and has many things on their to-do lists. I always have a stack of books to read. We hear from all around us how many things we need to fit into each day to "be successful" including: 

-get 30 minutes of exercise and/or stretch
-drink 8-10 glasses of water
-cook and eat 3 (healthy) meals
-have a daily quiet time (for Christians)
-clean the kitchen
-interact with our children, friends, and spouses
-brush our teeth 2-3 times (and flossing!)
 -get outside
-get 7-9 hours of sleep
-read a book for 30 minutes
-spend time in prayer
-make your bed, etc.,

Just reading the list can be overwhelming, especially when you have a job for 8 hours a day on top of all of that! But what does God say? 


Psalm 46:10
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Exodus 14:14
"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

A few years ago, I read a book called "The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry." In that book, the author, John Mark Comer talked about slowing down, taking time to rest, being still, and taking a Sabbath. I think of that book a lot, it made a huge impact on me. So often in our daily lives, we are in a hurry. Did Jesus hurry? I don't think so. He was quite purposeful in what He did. There is NO instance of Jesus saying, "Hurry up!" to his disciples or anyone whom He interacted with. He took time for everyone. He was often stopped on his way to another place or town. He stopped and listened, often granting someone's desire for healing or help. 

I want to be more like that. I need to be more like that. I am preaching to myself as much as anyone else. I need to slow down, to take more time to be still. I am trying to take time to stop, (put my phone down) and listen. Social media or some game that I am playing is never more important than my child, spouse, or friend sitting or standing in front of me. It is easy to get our priorities out of whack. I want to stop, sit still, and listen for God's still, small voice of direction. I hope that you will join me. I'm praying that you will.


Other verses about being still:

1 Samuel 12:16
“Now then, stand still and see this great thing the Lord is about to do before your eyes!

Nehemiah 8:10-11
Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” The Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be still, for this is a holy day. Do not grieve.”

Psalm 37:7
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Zechariah 2:13
Be still before the Lord, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.”

Mark 4:39
Jesus got up, rebuked the wind, and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

(bold emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...