Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Good devotional for moms (and dads!)

I have been reading Daily Guideposts 2010 this year, which is a daily devotional book, not written specifically for moms, but just anyone, man or woman, young or old. My mom has bought this version and other years for me. She enjoys reading the book/ devo as I do. It is amazing how many days the devotional applies to where I am and what I need on that specific day. I like this devo because it is not  TOO in-depth, but I am still reading the Bible (even if it is just a verse) and praying after I read. With my busy life, it is almost all I can handle each day. I do Bible reading/ lessons with my kids in homeschool each day, and so I am learning with them in His Word too.

Here is a devo I read recently that I enjoyed:

Like newborn babes, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation; for you have tasted the kindness of the Lord. -1 Peter 2:2-3


Here's a note on the nuttiest gift we have ever been given by the Coherent Mercy: diapers.

Imagine a world without them, without the first parents back there at the dawn of time, even before cassette tapes, realizing whoa!  they better use some of that cedar underbark for infant hygiene or else! So they did, and then came burlap, and cotton, and thousands of kinds of plastic, and such engineering marvels as diaper pins, and those deft little adhesive flaps, and such entrepreneurial feats as potty chairs, and cartoon and college logos on pull-up pants, and sweet insanities as talcum powder in a tin as big as a refrigerator, and small white tables specially designed for changing diapers on small wriggling people, and buckets with cool little foot pedals.

Who would have thought I would ever in a million years say that I miss changing diapers, after a million hours changing diapers? (My note: I am still changing them...) But this morning, just for a moment, I do miss the wrestle and redolence, the powder and burble, the motions and gestures or the ancient craft, the fresh-bread smell of your tiny crazy naked children, the way you rubbed your capacious nose in their bellies to make them do that walrus laugh, those infinitesimal utterly intimate moments between you and your kids. Now they are gone forever, and you'll never have the chance to tickle your grinning child the size of a sneaker, and stare, and wonder what incredible generosity handed you this joyous soul.

Dear Lord, for all the gifts that we never see clearly or understand much, or appreciate hardly at all, bless You.
-Brian Doyle


This made me think about finding joy in the day-to-day things, such as changing diapers, and taking time to tickle and smile with my kids-- some of my favorite things to do. Sometimes I think I get dragged down by my full schedule and busyness of my days, always feeling like there is so much to do and not enough time to do it all. But then I remember God put me here "for such a time as this" (Esther 4:14), and do enjoy the time He's given me, and that someday I'll miss this. I am so thankful that His mercies are new every morning, and He is so faithful to me. I am truly blessed, and it is easy to forget it. I love the author's words and way he reminds me that God has been generous to me. I hope you've enjoyed it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...