Monday, October 11, 2010

Cleaning Fruit and Veggies

So here is something I feel strongly about... How clean are the veggies & fruit that we buy at the store? Not as clean as you think! Many years ago, I heard someone speak on a TV show about cleaners around the home, and how kids can get sick from their use and non-use. The higher incidence of organic produce contributes to this awareness more nowadays. But many moms I know are not aware of this, so...

There are lots of pesticides and sprays used on trees and vines/ plants today. The growers want to sell more produce and will do nearly anything to get better fruit or vegetables. This includes risking the health of consumers with the terrible toxic substances they use on their fruit and vegetables. I am not totally sure what produce is sprayed the most or with the worst things, but I do know what I see in my own home.

I clean all the fruit and veggies before we eat them. I used to just rinse things, but when I first bought FIT rinse, and used it, I saw the GRAY residue on the counter and knew that it was better to use it. FIT is sold in in spray and refill bottles in the produce section of most grocery stores. I find it at City Market/ Kroger here in Grand Junction. I've also made my own, and it works well too.

I spray the rinse on the food, wait a minute, and rinse it off with tap water while smearing it around in my hands. Yes, this cleaning process takes longer, but it is worth it to me, for the health of my family. I'm always telling my kids to wash their fruit before they eat it. Even the apples from our own tree, which was not sprayed this year and should have been. But there is bird poop on them, (yuck!) and lots of earwigs, worms, squirrels and who knows what else in the tree and yard. Fruit is so good for you, adding lots of fiber and vitamins to our diet, but I don't want my family getting sick from eating it!

With grapes, I leave them in small bunches after I rinse them. They don't spoil as quickly this way. My kids love grapes and we have them in our fridge almost year round (except when they're $6 + for a bunch!)

This is such a great time of year to have fresh fruit, just don't forget to make time to clean it!

Here are my homemade FIT rinse recipes:
1/2 vinegar to 1/2 water
I use this to fill a sink if I've got lots of apples or tomatoes to clean.


2 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup water
Mix and spray on produce. I have doubled this before and it works great! Sometimes it clogs my sprayer though, so it has to be mixed very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...