Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr. lapbook

This is another lapbook that Rebekah and I made in 2008, with inspiration from Jamin, my lapbooking friend! Here is the link to her MLK Jr. lapbook: http://homeschoolblogger.com/jaminacema/268869/

We usually listen to the "I Have a Dream" speech online and do a coloring page, as well as read a book or two about Martin Luther King Jr.  Now we can also review this lapbook!

On the cover is a small part of the speech with a picture of MLK Jr.  Below that is a summary of his life.
Cover
 On the inside, there is a "teeny tiny book" about Martin Luther King Jr., and then Vocabulary words and "What I Learned" booklet.

The vocabulary words are:
discrimination
dream
justice
leadership
minister
nonviolence
peace
protest
racial
civil rights
segregation
speech
struggle
boycott

Here is what Rebekah wrote on the "What I learned" booklet:
I learned: that he was shot and killed in 1968 and that his "I Have A Dream" speech was a very good speech. He was African-American and he helped other African-Americans.

Inside folder #1

Open vocabulary mini-book and Me and Martin mini-book

The "Me and Martin"mini-book is a worksheet that compares her life with Martin Luther King Jr.

Included were:
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Brothers and Sisters
Activities Enjoyed
Father's Occupation
Mother's Occupation
Goal in life

We learned that they had their mother and father's occupations in common: His mother was a teacher like me, and his father was a minister, and Joshua is a worship Pastor! Cool!

(At this point, her goal was "to be a pro ice skater and skate REALLY fast!") LOL
Inside timeline and Q & A
Here is her acrostic poem that she wrote:
Did great things
Really helped the black people
Kind to the black people
I have a dream was his great speech
Non voilent
Georgia was where he was born and lived

Inside folder #2
 Above, she wrote that her dream is: that one day I would be a professional ice skater. 
I can help my dream come true by: taking lessons at the Glacier Ice Arena and geting good at it. ;-D
Back
 And on the back is a coloring page that she colored, trimmed  and the date that we finished the lapbook.
Here are the sources for the worksheets and mini-books:




http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/misc/mlk/

Enjoy and let me know if you do this lapbook, I'd love to hear how you liked it!

P.S. Here is another coloring page from Michael's the Knack. (for teachers and parents) A great printable coloring page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...