Thursday, February 3, 2011

American Girl class-Kaya- week 3

We had another great American Girl class this week! Here are some highlights...

So this week in class, I had originally planned to make moccasins, but I decided it would be way too hard for the girls in our class, in the time limits we have (one hour). I was very glad that I decided to make another craft, which ended up being paper bag vests. My favorite site that I looked at for how to make one is here: http://www.familycorner.com/family/kids/crafts/indian_headdress.shtml

I also liked this one: http://www.crayola.com/crafts/detail/western-vest-craft/

We had Easy fry bread for snack, and the girls really liked it! The recipe can be found here: http://www.recipegoldmine.com/worldnativeam/easy-fry-bread.html

This "easier" craft made the hour much easier, and we had time to discuss the book 3 of Kaya more, "Kaya's Hero". One of the girls brought her Kaya doll and we discussed the baby board attached to Kaya. I had some pictures of the baby board (aka papoose) from the American Girl store that I printed to show, but it was much better to see the real thing! This is what it looked like (and the picture I showed):
We also had some extra time to write on our Geography notebook pages.

Here are links to the printables that I copied for the notebook (I gave it out the first week)
USA Map
State map, State shape, bird and flower.
http://www.kidzone.ws/geography/usa/index.htm
Today we wrote on the Idaho state page sheet for Kaya to our notebook. 

Here is what we wrote: Kaya may have lived with the Nez Perce tribe in Idaho, Oregon or Washington. There are three major rivers: The Snake, Columbia and the Salmon Rivers. The Nez Perce tribe currently lives in Idaho on a Reservation.


Girls finishing snack and starting craft...

Arm, neck and middle cuts done, making fringe...

Adding fringe to the vests, tracing shapes to add...

Girls showing off their Paper bag vests!  I love them!
Behind the girls you can see what I wrote on the white board for them to write in their notebooks...
It was a fun class, looking forward to next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...