Thursday, February 10, 2011

American Girl class-Kaya- week 4

We had another fun American Girl class this week! We were missing a few girls, one I knew would be out of town and a few others out too, hope they aren't sick... come back soon, girls! Here are the crafts we made...

My sample of the teepee on a "buffalo hide",
glued onto construction paper.

Printed and punched pieces ready for Tuesday's class...
The bummer this time is that I forgot my camera! I was lamenting about this to some of the girls, and they were not sympathetic to me... Oh well!  I did take some photos of the projects we made when I was at home...

You can find the link for the teepee coloring page here. This is the page with the idea to make a buffalo hide from paper here.

These are the directions for the Native American pendant that we used. You can find the printable designs I used here. I printed them on cardstock and punched them out, and the girls placed them on another punched piece of cardstock for stability. Then we punched holes in them and put a piece of black hemp through the hole. I made the hemp too short to slide over their necks though. Note: make the hemp longer than 18-20 inches if you want to be able to slide it over your head!

My sample necklace, cardstock printed & glued onto another punched piece,
punched & placed on a length of hemp cord.

For snack we had Maple Popcorn balls. I got it from www.recipegoldmine.com, but it won't let me load the page. So in case you can't get it, I'll type it here:

Maple Popcorn Balls (This is an old Algonquian treat-- the original cracker jack.)
1/4 cup popping corn
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons butter


Pop corn according to package directions. Season with salt, if desired. 


Heat syrup and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until temperature reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer or until a few drops form soft balls when dropped in cold water. 


Remove pan from heat and pour mixture over popcorn. When mixture is cool enough, (5-7 minutes) toss popcorn with syrup and mold into balls, and cool on a buttered baking sheets. Store cooled popcorn balls in an airtight container. Makes about 8.


I found the same recipe herehttp://www.reciperewards.com/recipe/maple_popcorn_balls.html

The snack was really good, a little hard, but I got to have one this time and it tasted really good! It was another fun class. I am looking forward to the last two weeks of Kaya and then we'll begin Felicity!!

I hope the girls have a doll to bring to class next week, I have a fun craft for them...

1 comment:

  1. so fun ... you have been so faithful each week in teaching the girls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...