Friday, April 15, 2011

Blueberry French toast recipe

Another mom brought this to MOPS one time, years ago, and I liked it so much I asked her for the recipe. It takes a little prep work and fore-tought, but it is well worth the effort!


Blueberry French Toast              (I make this sometimes at Christmas, other holidays)

12 slices old white bread, crusts removed (Texas Toast is best)
2 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
1 cup fresh/ frozen blueberries, strawberries or raspberries
12 eggs or egg substitute
2 cups milk
1/3 c syrup (maple)

Sauce: (I double this, usually)
1 cup sugar
2 T cornstarch
I cup blueberries
1 cup water
1. Cut bread into cubes. Place half of bread into greased 9 X 13" pan.
2. Cut cream cheese into 1" cubes, place over bread.
3. Top with berries and remaining bread.
4. In large bowl, combine egg, milk and syrup, mix well. Pour over bread mixture.
5. Cover with foil and chill overnight, or 8 hours.
6. Remove from fridge 30 min before baking. Bake at 350 for 30 min.
7. Take foil off, bake 30 more min, or until golden brown.
8. For sauce: mix sugar and starch in pan, add water. Bring to a boil for 3 min, stirring constantly. Add berries, serve over toast.


YUMMY!!

This is also another popular one at our MOPS group. One time I brought it and forgot the sauce, but another gal made it too, so it was ok, her sauce worked on mine! (regular syrup is ok too)


Let me know if you try it. My mom makes a similar one that doesn't have cream cheese in it, and it is good too. Send me a note if you want the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...