Thursday, December 8, 2011

American Girl class: Kirsten week 6

This week was our last American Girl class of this year! We had a fun time and I will miss the girls during our Christmas break!

We made Woven heart ornaments this week instead of another hand sewing project. I have a friend who is part Swedish that loaned me several Swedish items, including horses and straw ornaments/ wall-hangings, and she told me that these ornaments are Swedish. We tried them in class today, and some of the girls thought they were "really, really hard" to make. They were a little challenging, but we enjoyed them anyway! You can find a pattern for them here. I used red and white felt with a pink ribbon (leftover from my stash) instead of construction paper. The paper may have been easier!


I read a book called "Annika's Secret Wish" by Beverly Lewis, about children from Sweden celebrating a meal on Christmas Eve and a sacrificial gift. It is a wonderful book that I heartedly recommend to everyone! The illustrations by Pamela Quirin are realistic and just beautiful!
We had "Pepparkakor cookies", which are Swedish, similar to a gingersnap. I found the recipe here. One of the moms made them star/ snowflake shapes and that was neat!


One mom helping with the baskets...
Eating her cookie, all finished with her heart...
Three sweet girls with their heart baskets...
 The 2:00 class worked on the same basket ornaments and had the cookies too. The girls really liked the cookies!
The girls worked on their braided rugs...
Class was almost done...
We also worked on our Braided Rugs, but we did not finish them. We will work on them more during our study of Addy next semester. For the girls that will not be taking the class next semester, I gave them their supplies to take home.
Working so intently on her rug...
I am looking forward to our class next semester, when we will study Addy and Samantha! I am going to miss all the hugs and smiles that they give me each week-- the love is so rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...