Friday, December 23, 2011

Mini-middles recipe

This is one of my very favorite Christmas cookies ever. I married the son of a baker, and with this son that I married, came his mom's fabulous cookbook! :-D What a bonus! I had all of the recipes that he knew and loved so I could bake and cook them after we married, and I have... many, many times.

I have a vivid memory of visiting my husband's family in their home at Christmas when we were dating. I stopped by their cozy little home on my way home to college. I remember his younger sister, Morgan was putting various cookies in baggies with labels and sending them to her boyfriend at the time...(later to be her husband!) The treats all had such cute names, like "Ting-a-lings", "Mini-middles", "Melting Moments"and "Mexican wedding cakes". There was quite a variety of cookies too! :-D

Here is a recipe from my mom-in-law's cookbook, a delicious buttery cookie that I bake every Christmas!

You might need a little helper to make these with you...

Mini-Middles
1/2 cup butter, soft
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 T vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

(I usually double the above recipe, since this one only makes about 2 dozen cookies.)
The buttery dough...

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Shape dough into balls and hide a few (6-8) chocolate chips in center of dough and pinch closed.
Hiding the chocolate chips in the dough... like a secret treasure!

Place cookies 1 inch apart on un-greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until light brown. Remove from sheet and cool. Dip top in powdered sugar. YUM! (TIP-don't leave them in too long, or they'll get too hard! I learned the hard way!)


Hidden treasure... ready to go in the oven!
All baked and dipped in powdered sugar...

See the chocolate hidden on the inside-- what a scrumptious surprise!

If you decide to make these cookies, let me know your review! I'd love to hear your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...