Monday, February 27, 2012

Psalm 27

As a Christian, I don't technically celebrate Lent. Lent is something from the Catholic faith. There is a practice in Lent of "giving something up" in a way that brings you closer to God during those 40 days. If there is a vice, a bad habit, an idol of sorts that is in the way of your relationship with God, that may be something to live without for a time. I know some friends who are giving up social media for Lent. I thought about doing that, but decided not to, because my friends and family are so important to me, and I don't feel it is in idol in my life. I am perfectly ok without it for a day, even though I really enjoy it.

This year I decided to learn and memorize a Psalm. Last Fall, our women's retreat speaker spoke about memorizing Psalm 27. I had written about it in my Bible. In my Bible study this year, I am reading through the Psalms, and really enjoying it thus far! So last week, I read Psalm 27 again, and remembered my desire to memorize it.

Scripture memorization is so important to Christians, to help us "hide God's Word in our hearts, so we may not sin against Him."- Psalm 119:11 It can enhance and deepen our relationship with God to meditate on His word and know it very well. It can help us know more of God and what His word says. It can show us God's character and His heart. It is something I know that I neglect in my relationship, and I definitely see the value of... so I decided to go for it!

Psalm 27 is 14 verses, here they are:

Psalm 27

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
   whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
   of whom shall I be afraid?

 2 When the wicked advance against me
   to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
   who will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me,
   my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me, 

   even then I will be confident.
 4 One thing I ask from the LORD,
   this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
   all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the LORD
   and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble
   he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
   and set me high upon a rock.

 6 Then my head will be exalted
   above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
   I will sing and make music to the LORD.

 7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD;
   be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!”
   Your face, LORD, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me,
   do not turn your servant away in anger;
   you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
   God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
   the LORD will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, LORD;
   lead me in a straight path
   because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
   for false witnesses rise up against me,
   spouting malicious accusations.

 13 I remain confident of this:
   I will see the goodness of the LORD
   in the land of the living.
14 Wait for the LORD;
   be strong and take heart
   and wait for the LORD.



There are some great verses in there! I am excited to read it often and recite to myself. You can help keep me accountable! I am also using this song that I found to help memorize the last four verses. I like it's upbeat message that easily gets caught in my head. Music always helps me remember- it is easier to sing the words!


What do you do for Lent? Anything different? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I worked on memorizing that Psalm when Ashley was born ... I would go over it when I was nursing. I still recognize and remember bits and pieces.

    I have decided to focus on extending more grace to my kids. Making a concentrated effort to stop in the midst of a frustrating moment and pray, smile and respond with more understanding. And my kids are giving me LOTS of opportunities to practice! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...