Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thankful Thursday #6: Gifts


Recently I was thinking about how everything is a gift, as Ann Voskamp discusses in her book, in Chapter 11. It is a common phrase in Christian circles to hear, "Love the Giver, not the gift." This is so true, we need to give glory to God for His blessings, and not be happy only with the "thing". He is the blesser, giver, financer, creator of all things.


Each day is a gift, full of so many blessings. He gives us each breath, each morsel of food, safety on the road, comfortable beds, couches and furniture. He gives us so much more-- computers, phones, each paper, book, piece of music. It's all God's. Have you shown Him how thankful you are today?

I've heard that grace is:
God's
Riches
At
Christ's
Expense

He gives us His riches and bestows them upon us, because of Christ! Ann Voskamp talks in the end of her book (p. 187) that "All is Grace". If we are given His blessings, His riches because of Christ, isn't that true? All IS grace. (See Eph. 4:7) That is the only way we can truly LIVE, because of Christ. And live eternally! As Romans 8:32 says, "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" What a great truth to be thankful for!

I love gifts. Gifts big and small fill my love tank. Even a little note in the mail will make my day. Now I think about God giving me each day as a gift to open and honor Him with... such a privilege! Then I can thank Him for His blessings each day, and He blesses me again. What a cool process! I hope you've discovered the joy of being thankful too!



Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.


Psalm 107:21
Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind.



Isaiah 45:3
I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.



1 Corinthians 15:57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...