Thursday, September 27, 2012

American Girl class: Rebecca Week 3

We had another fun American Girl class this week. We discussed book three in the series, Candelight for Rebecca. After our discussion questions, I passed out printed dreidels --printable found here. I also passed out directions on how to decorate them and how to play the game. I should have printed more of the directions for our class, since I only had one for me.

The girls seemed to enjoy playing with their new dreidels. For the first class, I had glue dots to put them together. For the 2nd class, I had run out of glue dots, so we used regular craft and school glue. It took a little longer, but they came together nicely.

 Playing dreidel together...
 Then for snack, I had a mom bring Rolos for the girls to play dreidel with as their gelt; and we made dreidels to eat! They were a large marshmallow, one pretzel stick, and a Hershey's kiss. We had a dab of frosting to put them together. The dreidels were cute! I think the girls had lots of fun making them.
 Yum!
 For our second craft, we made menorahs with one large craft stick (8" long), one package of Crayola Model magic (one box with various colors) and 9 birthday candles (I found cheap packages of 24 at Wal-mart). They rolled out 9 balls of Model Magic, put them on the craft stick in a row and stuck the candles in them. It is a simple menorah, but the girls got a good idea what they would be like. I wished we had a real dreidel and menorah to show in our class.

 I loved how some girls followed directions and were so slow and deliberate, and others whipped it together. The Model Magic should harden as it dries. I hope the girls will enjoy their menorah and maybe even save it for Hanukkah in December! We talked about lighting the candles, one each night and how they were light in the cold, dark wintertime.

 The 2:00 class working on their dreidels, cutting and coloring...

 Some found the cutting to be hard work!
Another cute dreidel to eat!
 Making menorahs...

Friends working together...

Here is my daughter with her menorah! I love it!


Here are three fun videos that I emailed to the moms to watch ahead of time & share with their daughters:

Lighting of the Candles

Dreidel song (Fun Jazzy Version-- scroll down on the page)

Video of how to play Dreidel




You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light.




You, LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.




When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...