Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thankful Thursday: 1000+ gifts!

Some of my more dedicated blog readers may remember that I read the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp this past May, and wrote about it then. I have been keeping a journal each day, writing my gifts in it for these 7 months, and I finished my 1000 gifts this week! It was a little exciting, and I am looking forward to beginning again next year!

One devotional I read this week from Praying with the Psalms was about Psalm 148, and how praising God is "the most democratic of all activities" and "instead of reducing all to a common denominator (as many democracies do), it raises everyone to a new excellence. The potencies of praise develop and amplify as new voices join the chorus."

The prayer in the book says, "I don't want to miss a note, great God, in the chorus of praise, not overlook anything praiseworthy, not forget any benefit, not slight anyone or anything in my advertisements of your glory. Amen."

I really liked the author's words and message about praise raising us a new excellence. I also like the phrase in the prayer about advertising God's glory. Is that what I do each day? Do I show and tell others about God and His glory in my life? I hope so... what a great challenge for the new year!

I enjoyed finishing my 1000 gifts journal for 2012. Here are some of my gifts written about this past week...

994. Watching holiday movies with my hubby, snuggled on the couch
995. Jewel's blog, her gift for writing and her love of God which is so evident
996. Lovely Christmas Day, opening gifts, playing games with family, eating well, new jammies and decorating cookies together
997. Good conversation with our newish neighbor Paul-- He is happy & thankful despite his trials and struggles.
998. Making thank you notes, doing puzzles with my girls.
999. Green scarf-- fluffy & cozy!
1000. Shopping with gift cards with two of my girls last night
1001. Reviewing the budget with hubby and planning for next year
1002. Got curtain stiffener/ hook tape sewn on and rehung-- yeah!
1003. Fun time playing Back to the Future & Labyrinth games with Kellums last night
1004. Finished my devo book Praying with the Psalms- really enjoyed it and would recommend it to others!
1005. Shopped and spent gift cards with hubby this morning...
1006. Relaxing on the holidays off from school-- time to play, read, etc., SO nice!

What are some gifts that you enjoyed and received this week, tangible or intangible? Sometimes the experiences are even more valuable than things!

I am looking forward to beginning a new 1000 gifts journal this week, and fostering thankfulness into my heart and life each day of 2013! Won't you join me?



Psalm 148:7-14


Praise the Lord from the earth,
    you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,
lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
    stormy winds that do his bidding,
you mountains and all hills,
    fruit trees and all cedars,
10 wild animals and all cattle,
    small creatures and flying birds,
11 kings of the earth and all nations,
    you princes and all rulers on earth,
12 young men and women,
    old men and children.
13 Let them praise the name of the Lord,
    for his name alone is exalted;
    his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.
14 And he has raised up for his people a horn,[a]
    the praise of all his faithful servants,
    of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...