Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Devotional for kids

When I was younger, my parents were pretty good about doing devotionals with us after dinner. One of the main devotional books that was used was called, "Little Visits with God"by Allan Hart Jahsmann and Martin P. Simon. All five of us kids remember evenings at the dinner table, before the dishes were done, listening to our Dad reading stories from the book.


After I was married and became a mother, it was the devotional book that I wanted to buy for my own family. I found the book, in a new edition, with some of the names changed (not 1970's names anymore!) but the same timeless stories of putting the Bible into practice in daily life. Each "little visit" includes a Bible verse, several paragraphs in story form of a devotion which relates to kids' lives, questions to encourage participation, suggested Scripture readings and a short prayer.

I like the book because the devotionals are related to every day life-- what kids say and think, teaches them about sin and how to avoid it, what God can do, how to treat others, about God's characteristics, about why Jesus died and what His sacrifice means to us.

We haven't used it too much recently, but I think we need to pull it out and use it with our younger kids again too. I think we went through it with our older daughter but that was several years ago. The book is a bargain at only $10, but it is a valuable tool in our "parenting toolbox". I hope maybe you will find a copy to read with your own kids!


Deuteronomy 4:9
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to yourchildren and to their children after them.

Deuteronomy 11:19
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Psalm 34:11
Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...