Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Careful what you do..." (Movies for kids)

As a Christian parent in the modern digital age, I believe we need to be vigilant about what we allow our children to see, read and hear. There is SO much junk in the world to put into their brains. There is so much good out there too, but it is hard to discern or remember at times.

There are two websites that I turn to when I need to know what a movie is about before we view it with the kids. I could watch a movie without the kids to review it, but that takes more time. Sometimes there is a movie that I have seen before but don't remember each and every detail. That is when I turn to:


www.Kids-in-mind.com

This website rates movies in three major categories on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being worst). Three categories are sex/ nudity, violence/ gore and profanity (and also substance abuse). They also go into detail about the instances where something occurs in the movie. Most of the time it jogs my memory enough to say, "Oh, it's worse than I remember" or "Oh, maybe it is good." It also discusses the message the film conveys and  discussion topics that may elicit questions from children. It is my go-to place before we see lots of movies!

http://www.pluggedin.com

is the movie review site from Focus on the Family. I like this website because it provides a good summary of the movie, positive elements, spiritual content, sexual content, violent content, crude or profane language, drug and alcohol content, and other negative elements. I trust Focus on the Family as a Christian organization and their worldview. I like knowing if a movie may be scary to my little viewers, and what may be included in the movies before I trust the writers and animators in Hollywood that it is truly a G or PG- rated movie.

So be sure to check either one of these websites before you see the next movie. You might be surprised what you learn about it-- good or bad! I am so thankful that these services are provided for us!

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
Luke 21:36
Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.

Colossians 4:2
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...