Thursday, September 19, 2013

American Girl class: Kaya#2 week 2


This week I actually missed my class. :(  I had jury duty on that day, and as much as I hoped they would let me go earlier, I was not released until 4:30. It was very interesting being there and learning all that I did. It was a sad case, as many of them are. 

This week in class, one of our co-op board members taught my class. I thought that was so great, so that the girls didn't have to miss class in my absence.  I had all of the supplies ready, so she picked them up and my house and just followed the plans. 

I taught girls how to make corn husk dolls before, you can see the class here.  The original directions for the corn husk dolls were found here. I remember the dolls we made a few years ago falling apart easily, so I searched for better directions on Pinterest. I found this one that I liked, this one and one more, which was my favorite. I hope that will help my readers if they are going to make these dolls!

For snack, they had leaf bread. I found the recipe here. Here it is for you:

Leaf Bread 
The Iroquois make this from green corn. It is really more of a vegetable than a bread.

6 ears fresh sweet corn
1 to 3 tablespoons cornmeal
(optional) Salt and ground pepper
Melted butter

Shuck corn, reserving husks. Holding corn cobs upright on end, use a sharp knife to make a shallow cut down the middle of each row of kernels. Use the blade in a scraping downward motion to remove corn from cobs. In a blender or food processor, process corn into a paste. If corn seems very liquid, stir in enough cornmeal to make it easier to handle. Season with salt and pepper and reserve. Rinse reserved husks under cold running water and pat dry. Spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons of corn paste into a large corn husk. Wrap in more husks to completely envelop paste. Tie ends with strips of husk. Continue until all paste is used. Six ears of corn should make 12 to 15 small, tamale-like packages. Steam leaf bread over boiling water for about 45 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing husks.

Serve brushed with melted butter. Serves 4 to 6.
---------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter wasn't too sure about it, I don't know if she tried it. It was a very different snack for them. I always ask the girls to at least try a bite. Because you never know if you will like something unless you try it!

I was sorry to miss it, but look forward to being back with the girls next week!



Ecclesiastes 12:13
Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is theduty of all mankind.

Luke 17: 9-10

Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”


Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, “My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...